Were you (or are you still) a fan of Nature Valley bars? When I was eating gluten, I was def a fan. I can’t say that I ate them all the time, but whenever I broke open a packet of those super crispy granola bars, it was joyous. They were the perfect amount of crunch, without being overly sweet or nutty. My personal fave was the honey oat bars.
Since I’ve been cooking with so many oats recently, and basically eating them at every meal (although I have yet to find a delicious oatmeal entree – suggestions are always welcome), it only made sense that gluten-free granola bars were in our future.
Crispy, crunchy, full of oats and honey (and quinoa!), these gluten-free granola bars are scrumptious.
These bars totally hit the spot. The boy and I have been juicing every morning lately, so I’m not eating much for breakfast, but am seriously famished (like s-t-a-r-v-i-n-g) by 10am. Not a chance I could last until dinnertime.
A snack being totally, and completely necessary, a handful of granola or this gluten-free granola bar pretty much hits the spot (and by pretty much, I mean seriously). Not only does it satisfy my intense carb cravings, but it also gives me the sweet, crunchiness I always love.
Snack time never tasted so good.
- 1 cup rolled oats (gluten-free optional)
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- ½ cup quinoa crispies
- ¼ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Stevia to taste
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Mix together dry ingredients, add wet and mix until fully coated and combined.
- Transfer the granola mixture to the prepared baking dish and press down with a spatula, hard. Press, press, press.
- Bake for 18 - 20 minutes until the bars have started to brown. Remove and cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes.
- Cut into bars and transfer to a cooling rack until hard and crispy.
- If the bars don't crisp up for you, transfer the cut bars to a parchment lined baking sheet and cook in a 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes, until crispy. Cool on a wire rack.