Day numero tres of a Week of Christmas Cookies is bringing us a healthified version of a holiday favorite. A gluten-free molasses cookie, that is sweetened with date sugar and baked to chewy perfection. Wrapped up in a little bow, these cookies make a great holiday gift.
I’ve always been a molasses cookie fan. They’re the essence of a Christmas cookie to me. But give me one of these stick-to-your-teeth cookies any other time of year, and I’ll happily gobble it up. The blend of sugar and warm spices, combined with the glorious texture, molasses cookies are definitely one of my all-time favorites.
To me, what makes a cookie sensational is the balance of texture – crunch and chew. In these gluten-free molasses cookies, the quinoa not only adds protein, but also provides that light crunch that I crave. The chewiness comes from the shorter baking time mixed with the molasses and applesauce. The result is a perfectly balanced Christmas delight.
As you’re getting ready for the holidays this year, dreaming up your Christmas cookie menu, these ginger-kissed cookies are sure to be a crowd pleaser.
A Week of Quinoa Christmas Cookies:
- Meyer Lemon & Almond Biscotti
- Honey Cut-Out Cookies
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon stevia powder
- ½ cup vegan butter, at room temp
- ½ cup date sugar
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup black strap molasses
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cream the butter and date sugar together in a separate bowl, about 2 minutes. Add applesauce, egg and molasses and mix until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until a dough starts to form. Form the dough into a ball, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spoon the cookie dough, about 1 tablespoon, on the cookie sheet and gently flatten with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, until slightly browned and cracked on top, but still tender to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
NOW AVAILABLE! Baking with Quinoa
Featuring 25 mouthwatering recipes – all free from gluten, dairy & refined sugar – Baking with Quinoa will show you just how easy it is to make healthy & nutritious baked goods.