Good morning, Beautiful! It’s time to rise and shine, and welcome the day ahead with a great big smile. It’s going to be a good day. I can just feel it. You’re going to take on the world. Because with a breakfast like this, you can do anything. Today, we’re having broiled grapefruit.
If you’re anything like me, then you’re stuck in a grapefruit rut. Is your go-to way of eating this juicy, ruby red fruit to simply slice it in a half and scoop out the flesh with your spoon? Yeah, me too. I’d never even thought to cook my grapefruit.
Grapefruit is one of those fruits that I often foret about. I walk right by those big yellow globes in the grocery store all the time. I don’t even give them a second look. But on my weekly trip to Trader Joe’s, they caught my eye. They sparkled, like little balls of sunshine, and I just couldn’t resist. I scooped some up, planning to have one the next morning.
As I was slicing my grapefruit in half, I realized that I needed something more. This pretty pink fruited needed a little spice. It’s such an easy meal; it could use a little extra something. More than just a boring sprinkle of sugar (or stevia).
I turned to FoodGawker, as I usually do for a little recipe inspiration, and found a bunch of recipes for broiled grapefruit. I never thought to cook my grapefruit before, but let me just tell you, this is a revelation. Warm, sweet and juicy, this was one of the best breakfasts I’ve had in a long time. I sprinkled mine with a little vanilla and almond extract, cinnamon and topped it with stevia. Simply scrumptious.
- 1 grapefruit, halved
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon stevia powder
- Turn your oven to broil and make sure the racks are positioned about 4 – 5 inches from the top of the oven.
- Sprinkle each grapefruit half with half of ingredients, in the order listed.
- Place the grapefruit halves directly on the rack and broil until starting to brown, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Transfer the grapefruits to a cutting board, slice the way you like it (I go around the outer edge first and then slice along each wedge.
Available Now!! Baking with Quinoa
Featuring 25 mouthwatering recipes – all free from gluten, dairy & refined sugar – Baking with Quinoa will show you just how easy it is to make healthy & nutritious baked goods.