You asked for it on Facebook, so I decided I had to give it a whirl. A cookie that is not only gluten-free, but also vegan, nut-free and refined sugar-free! This Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie is the fourth recipe in a Week of Quinoa Christmas Cookies and my coworkers can attest – it’s a winner!
But first, let’s talk about what’s happening at my house right now. First, the boyfriend is in New York City for work, I’m still in the clothes I wore to yoga, there’s fresh bread baking, and, oh hey, I’m watching the Miss Universe pageant.
As the most beautiful women in the world are strutting their stuff on the runway in teeny-weeny bikinis, I’m writing about my love for cookies. Good thing these cookies are super healthy! No shame in my adoration of these Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies because they’re loaded with nutrients, protein and they’re totally delicious.
If you saw my post last night for Gluten-Free Molasses Cookies, than you know I’m a huge fan of chewy cookies. These are just that, chewy, vegan chocolate chip cookies. Melty chocolate chunks, a soft cakey texture, everything you want when you dream of a chocolate chip cookie.
Other recipes from a Week of Quinoa Christmas Cookies:
- ½ cup flaxseed meal
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- 1½ teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon powdered stevia
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water, rested for 10 minutes)
- ¼ cup soy-free butter spread, at room temperature
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ dairy-free plain yogurt (I like Almande)
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until fully combined. Add the flax egg, applesauce and yogurt and mix until creamy. Add the dry ingredients and beat until just incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the dough on the baking sheet, gently flattening with the back of metal spoon.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, until browned but still soft to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
NOW AVAILABLE! Baking with Quinoa
Featuring 25 mouthwatering recipes – all free from gluten, dairy & refined sugar – Baking with Quinoa will show you just how easy it is to make healthy & nutritious baked goods.