If you follow Queen of Quinoa, than you know by now that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. My weekdays are filled with smoothies or quinoa breakfasts, but the weekends are a whole different story. I'm one to
always usually choose pancakes and waffles over egg dishes, but last weekend I was craving some poached eggs.
You see, personally I think poaching eggs is an art form. If you can make a beautiful poached egg, sans a silicone or metal egg poacher, then you my friend, are my hero. I can never get them right. Luckily for me, these little babies came out half way decent, but still, not perfect. But hey, I guess you don't really need perfection when it comes to breakfast. All you need is yummy food. Right?
This is kind of like a spin on Eggs Benedict, only a little healthier. Instead of the meat, I opted for tomato (the color is still the same, right!?) and the Hollandaise was swapped with my own homemade barbecue sauce. The result? These uber-tasty, open-faced Barbecue Poached Egg Sandwiches.
Barbecue Poached Egg Sandwich
- 1 Gluten-Free English Muffin recipe on pg. 17 of Baking with Quinoa, split in half
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 slices tomato
- Handful spinach
- Barbecue sauce to top
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toast the English muffins while you prepare the eggs.
- To poach the eggs, fill a 10" skillet with about 2" of water. Bring to a boil, stir in the vinegar and salt, and turn down to a rolling boil.
- Crack one egg into a small bowl and carefully drop the egg into the water. Repeat with the second egg and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, place a slice of tomato and some spinach on top of each half of the toasted English muffin.
- Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and place on top of each sandwich.
- Drizzle (or douse) in barbecue sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
- Happy breakfasting!
NOW AVAILABLE! Baking with Quinoa
Featuring 25 mouthwatering recipes – all free from gluten, dairy & refined sugar – Baking with Quinoa will show you just how easy it is to make healthy & nutritious baked goods.
2 comments on “Barbecue Poached Egg Sandwich”
What a great idea! For some reason, I’ve only put hollandaise sauce on top of poached eggs but bbq sauce sounds a million times better! I love poached eggs and am psyched to try your yummy sandwich idea!
I was the same way Julia, but I think I have changed my tune with this barbecue sauce. It makes me think that eggs would be great with all sorts of different sauces. Might be some experimenting coming soon 🙂