So, what do you get when you combine gluten-free beer, gluten-free pasta and a vegan cheese sauce? Only the best dinner ever. Yes, that's right. I've created a gluten-free and vegan beer mac n' cheese.
When it comes to this mac n' cheese, there's really only one added ingredient to make it no longer kid-friendly. And that my friends, is the beer. Gluten-free beer in this case. Other than that, kiddos would gobble this dinner up in no time.
Beer is a fabulous ingredient to cook with. It brings a slightly sweet, but rich and out-of-this-world flavor. Dark beers, like stout or Guinness, can make desserts radiate with decadence, but amber ales, like the one I used in this recipe, are there to boost the flavor. And I mean really, cheese and beer? A match made in heaven.
But what makes this mac n' cheese so irresistible, is the “cheese” sauce. A simple, yet decadent, vegan cream sauce, helps give this mac n' cheese it's smooth, rich finish. I swear, I've almost never had baked a mac n' cheese that tasted this good.
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free pasta (I used fusilli)
- 1 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 3/4 cup brown ale (I used this one)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup toasted quinoa flour
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together the oil, mustard, flour, cayenne, turmeric and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Combine the beer and milk into pitcher or bowl with a spout, and slowly add it to the oil and flour mixture. Whisk constantly until the mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked pasta to a mixing bowl and pour the sauce over the noodles. Stir in ½ cup of nutritional yeast and transfer to single serve ramekins.
- Prepare the topping by combining the quinoa, remaining nutritional yeast and salt. Stir with a fork and spoon onto the top of each ramekin.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes, until the top is slightly browned.
- Let cook for 5 minutes and serve.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 462kcal Calories from fat 104|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 12g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 14g||56%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This post is shared on: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday