Yes, what you're seeing is correct. Christmas cookies in the middle of January. I could very well chalk this recipe for Chocolate Peppermint Pizzelles up to severe Christmas withdrawals, but I think I'll just say it's my love of cookies and chocolate that brings you this creation today. That makes me seem less crazy, right?
If you saw my Week of Quinoa Christmas Cookies last month, then you already know about my slight obsession with pizzelles. They're one of the best cookies on earth. I love their crunch, their kiss of sweetness and powerful flavoring. Plus, they're totally gorgeous and remind me of waffles (which I'm also mildly obsessed with) in cookie form.
This was my first year creating gluten-free pizzelles, so the first few times I made them I played it safe. But once I got the proportions right, I decided to play around with the flavors. Chocolate and peppermint are two flavors that go hand-in-hand, and that are also perfect for Christmastime. An easy (and logical) experiment.
And these cookies did not disappoint. They were chocolatey, minty and everything I hoped they would be. My family (a very traditional Italian bunch who love their anise pizzelles), also gobbled them up. They didn't even know they were gluten-free.
I would say these Chocolate Peppermint Pizzelles were definitely a win. Don't worry that the holidays have come and gone. These pizzelles are not only gluten-free, but they're dairy-free, refined sugar-free and loaded with quinoa!
Chocolate Peppermint Pizzelles with Quinoa
- Preheat a pizzelle cookie iron and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift dry ingredients together in medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl until smooth and creamy. Gradually whisk in oil and peppermint extract. Add the syrup slowly as you continue to whisk until everything is incorporated.
- Beat in dry ingredients until a smooth batter forms.
- Spoon about a tablespoon of dough onto the hot pizzelle iron, close the lid and cook according to the instructions. Mine were about 1 minute per cookie. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Let cookies cool completely on a wire rack. Store in a cool dry place.
NOW AVAILABLE! Baking with Quinoa
Featuring 25 mouthwatering recipes – all free from gluten, dairy & refined sugar – Baking with Quinoa will show you just how easy it is to make healthy & nutritious baked goods.