How do you make a super creamy salad but completely skip out on the dairy?
If you have removed dairy from you diet, I'm guessing it's a question you've been asking yourself since you first made the change. I know it's a question I'd been trying to answer for quite a long time, until I discovered cashew cream. Cashew cream is a dairy-free, cream-lovers dream. You can use it to replace dairy in things like dressings, sauces, milks, and creams.
You can even make a non-dairy cheese alternative for pizzas (check out my cashew ricotta recipe).
Lately, I've been using cashew cream mostly as a dressing, like in this broccoli quinoa salad. It makes a wonderful base that you can spice up with different flavors – like ranch or caesar – depending on the mood that you're in.
What I love about this salad is that it's rich and filling while still being light. You can easily spruce it up to make it an entree size by adding chicken or chickpeas, or keep it as is for a simple side dish or light lunch. Either way, I'm sure (even if you're a dairy-lover), you'll be a cashew cream convert after you try this creamy broccoli-quinoa salad.
Share this recipe!
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Creamy dressing
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours in 2 cups water (or 20 minutes in boiling water)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons cooked quinoa
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss broccoli in oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast until golden brown and softened slightly, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- While broccoli is roasting, prepare dressing. Pour cashews into a fine mesh strainer and rinse until water runs clear.
- Transfer to a high powered blender and add remaining ingredients. Blend on high until creamy.
- When broccoli is done, remove from oven and transfer to mixing bowl. Add quinoa, drizzle with lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Pour dressing over broccoli-quinoa mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- Serve immediately (for a warm salad) or chill in fridge for at least two hours.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 516kcal Calories from fat 293|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 33g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a pic and share it on Instagram using #SIMPLYQUINOA – I want to see your own quinoa creations!
Please note: this recipe was originally shared as a guest post on Beard + Bonnet. To read the full post, click here!