Pesto Chickpea Melt Recipe
A healthy pesto chickpea melt sandwich made with capers, red onion, basil, and vegan cheese. This is the perfect make-ahead plant-based lunch with a gluten-free option.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 can chickpeas , drained + rinsed
- 2 tablespoons mayo (vegan if wanting to make this 100% vegan)
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons vegan pesto , divided
- Generous pinch of salt + pepper
- 4 slices dairy-free cheese
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 4 slices tomato
Mash the chickpeas in a large bowl. Add the mayo, mustard, capers, onions, basil, two teaspooons of pesto, salt and pepper. Mix together.
Spread 1 teaspoon of pesto on each slice of bread. Divide the chickpea salad evenly across all four slices of bread. Top each slice of bread with a slice of tomato and a piece of cheese.
Place on a baking sheet, into the toaster oven and cook for 5 - 6 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Cut in half and enjoy!
Serving: 1piece of bread | Calories: 307kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 737mg | Potassium: 160mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 98IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 2mg