I have to admit it, but I probably won’t be tuning into tonight’s festivities. For starters, I just moved to NYC with le Boyfriend (woo hoo!!!) and we’re still getting settled, meaning we don’t have TV yet. No TV = no Super Bowl por moi. Also, today le Boyfriend is leaving me for the week, and without him around, football just isn’t something I want to have blaring in my living room.
Nope, tonight will be a night of relaxing (maybe painting my nails) and watching a chick flick. I mean come on ladies, does this not sound way better than watching
sweaty mean tackle each other football?
In honor of this holiday, I wanted to give you a healthy dish to serve your party guests. A creamy coconut chicken salad to be exact. And let me just say, this isn’t any old chicken salad.
Oh no, this is a chicken salad full of toasty coconut, slivered almonds and yes, you guessed it, quinoa! I mean really, who wouldn’t love some quinoa mixed with their chicken salad? I know I would!
But wait, there’s more. I’ll let you in on a little secret. There’s no mayo and no dairy making this salad rich and creamy. Instead, it’s all mixed together with coconut cream, making the flavor even more amazing.
Serve this creamy coconut chicken salad atop of nice bed of greens, on a slice of toasted gluten-free bread, or broiled with some cheese on top. Any which way you decide to enjoy this salad, it will be a hit with your football fans.
- 1 chicken breast, grilled & chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 celery stalks, quartered lengthwise & chopped
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup chilled coconut cream (from the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk that has been refrigerated overnight)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toast the almonds and shredded coconut in a dry pan over medium heat until lightly browned, 2 – 3 minutes.
- combine all ingredients into a bowl, minus the coconut cream. Add the coconut cream and fold the ingredients together until everything is creamy.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Refrigerate for 1 – 2 hours, remove and serve immediately.
This post is shared on Thank Goodness It’s Quinoa
NOW AVAILABLE! Baking with Quinoa
Featuring 25 mouthwatering recipes – all free from gluten, dairy & refined sugar – Baking with Quinoa will show you just how easy it is to make healthy & nutritious baked goods.