This healthy vegan coleslaw is not only gluten-free but also mayo-free! It's got two kinds of cabbage, roasted cashews for crunch and flavored with a creamy tahini dressing.
There are few things that scream summer than backyard cookouts and giant bowls of coleslaw!
I grew up really disliking all types of salads made with mayo. Mayo and I were just not friends. I didn't like the taste, I didn't like the texture and I sure as heck didn't want to eat vegetables slathered in a mayo dressing. To me, that was the worse of the worse.
Slowly but surely I came around the mayo and I gotta say, I kind of like it now. BUT most brands are still not using high-quality ingredients, there are eggs in almost every one and while tasty, mayo is far from being a “health food”.
So in true SQ fashion, we're making a healthy vegan coleslaw that is mayo-free and totally delicious!
The Secret to Mayo-Free Coleslaw
When I think of coleslaw, I think creamy. Right?!
It's gotta have that cream factor to make it taste legit. So rather than using mayo, we're actually whipping up a tahini dressing. I know, I know. Tahini makes a lot of appearances around here, but there's a reason for it.
Tahini is not only nutritious – we're talking healthy fats, protein and minerals – but tahini also has an amazing toasty flavor AND it's nut-free making it much more allergy-friendly.
We're mixing tahini with some rice vinegar, lime juice, tamari and hot sauce, giving it a bit of an Asian-inspired taste, but still very versatile and delicious with (and on top of) pretty much everything!
If coleslaw is still something that you're not sure about, let's chat about how you can serve it.
Of course, it's perfect as a side dish at potlucks or BBQs, but it's also a really great topper. I love eating this vegan coleslaw with things like veggie burgers, tacos and even hot dogs (or veggie dogs).
Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Tex Mex Quinoa Veggie Burgers
- Slow Cooker Lentil Sloppy Joes
- Crispy Tofu Tacos
- Black Bean & Quinoa Tacos
Mayo-Free Vegan Coleslaw
for the slaw:
- Finely slice or shred the cabbage and transfer to a large bowl.
- Grate the carrot and slice the scallions, adding both to the bowl as well, followed by the cilantro, sunflower seeds and cashews.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. This mixture will be thick, so whisk in water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach a creamy consistency that can be poured over coleslaw.
- Pour dressing over the coleslaw and toss to combine. Serve immediately!