Cilantro Lime Black Bean Quinoa Tacos
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
These healthy black bean quinoa tacos are the perfect recipe for summer! Cilantro-lime quinoa and fresh guacamole make these tacos light and flavorful!
We just need to have a moment and thank the food world for inventing tacos! Are they not the best food on the planet!? Give me a taco any day of the week and I'll seriously be your best friend in the world.
What I love about tacos is that you can pretty much put anything in the filling; meat, fish, beans, rice, quinoa, cheese, veggies, guac. The list is endless. I've shown you how to make tofu quinoa tacos before, as well as cauliflower tacos, but these black bean quinoa tacos? They've completely stolen my heart.
We start with a base of my cilantro lime quinoa which I showed you how to make in my Mexican Quinoa Breakfast Bowls and it's the perfect base for these tacos. Adds a nice citrus burst and flecks of cilantro in every bite.
On top of the cilantro-lime quinoa we layer black beans, shredded cabbage, and guac. Simple, fast, nutrient-dense and SO delicious!
Let's talk guac for a moment. There are plenty of schools of thought on how to make the best guac, but mine is to keep things simple and straightforward.
All you need is avocado, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and a touch of salt. Mashed up so it's still a little chunky, then plop some on top of these quinoa tacos and man oh man, GOOD!
And then there's the fact that we can turn these beauties into a MEAL PREP option! (well, minus the guac…)
Since everything is nice and fresh and plant-based, we can just assemble our ingredients into our meal prep containers on a Sunday, wrap the tortillas in some aluminum foil, then when we get to work just pop everything into the microwave and it's a taco party!
If you love avocado and can't bear the thought of eating a taco without one (trust me, I feel you on that front), then I'd recommend just bringing half an avocado with you to work and dicing it up when you get there. That way you'll avoid the browness and still get that yummy, creamy avocado flavor!
Looking for other Mexican-inspired recipes — you might try my Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers.
More Meal Prep Recipes to Try:
- One-Pot Mediterranean Quinoa with Spinach + Chickpeas
- Autumn Harvest Quinoa Bowls
- Chili Roasted Sweet Potato + Black Bean Quinoa
- Balsamic Tempeh and Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Bowl
- Chipotle Tofu Quinoa Bowls
Cilantro Lime Black Bean Quinoa Tacos
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- Juice & zest of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed (doesn't need to be shown on video)
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sliced red cabbage
- Chopped cilantro to garnish
- 10 corn tortillas
- Add veggie broth, quinoa and lime juice to a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 12 – 15 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 - 15 minutes. Stir in lime zest, ½ cup cilantro and season with salt & pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mash avocado until almost smooth. Stir in onion, lime juice and ¼ cup cilantro. Season with salt & pepper.
- To assemble tacos, place ¼ - ½ cup of quinoa mixture onto the base of each tortilla. Top with black beans, cabbage and the guacamole. Garnish with cilantro (and/or hot sauce!) and enjoy immediately!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Want more quinoa dinner recipes?
Follow my board on Pinterest!
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!