Are you still stuffed from Christmas? I sure am. Ready for something healthy? Yes, please.
The past few days have been full of over-indulgences – rich Italian eats, tempting (and addictive) little appetizers, sensational gluten-free cookies and of course, lots and lots of wine. My body is feeling the affects of all the eating and drinking, and I know the moment I get home, I need to get back on track. I will resume my daily yoga routine, cut back on the desserts and vino, and eat an exorbitant amount of dark leafy greens. Especially kale.
Why? Because kale makes me happy. It’s one of those foods I simply can’t get enough of. I toss it in my smoothies, have it with my eggs, mix it with my quinoa salads, and turn it into these delicious spicy raw kale chips. Renowned for its health benefits, if you haven’t explored the powers of kale, it’s time to start. Right. Now.
And make some of these spicy raw kale chips. You’ll see what I’m talking about.
- 2 bunches curly kale (I used one green, one purple)
- 2 cups cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (more or less to taste depending on your preferences)
- Juice of 1 lemon (2 – 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup water
- Add the kale to a very large mixing bowl (or separate into two if you don’t have one large enough – you need to be able to toss it around).
- Add the remaining ingredients to a food processor fit with the steel blade (or a high powered blender) and process until smooth.
- Pour the ‘cheese’ sauce over the kale and mix with your hands until the leaves are covered.
- Dehydrate at 120 degrees for 12 – 14 hours, until crispy.
- Alternately, if you don’t have a dehydrator, place the kale leaves on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 150 degrees for 10 hours.
gluten-free | dairy-free | vegan | sugar-free | soy-free
NOW AVAILABLE! Baking with Quinoa
Featuring 25 mouthwatering recipes – all free from gluten, dairy & refined sugar – Baking with Quinoa will show you just how easy it is to make healthy & nutritious baked goods.