Mexican Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
These Mexican quinoa breakfast bowls are the perfect way to start your day! Protein-packed, with creamy avocado, cilantro-lime quinoa and soft boiled eggs on top!
It's Cinco de Mayo week and we're going to be eating all things Mexican-inspired! First up? We've got these outrageously delicious quinoa breakfast bowls!
One might think that I breakfast like this, especially such a beautiful breakfast (if I do say so myself!), would NOT be something you could enjoy on the weekdays when you're short on time. But my friends, that thought would be incorrect because this breakfast is ready in under 10 minutes and is the perfect way to fuel up for a busy day ahead!
Back in my college hay-days (you know, when I was actually young and spry), Cinco de Mayo celebrations meant margaritas in the sun, burritos for lunch, burgers on the grill for dinner.
Oh, and margaritas. Lots of margaritas.
Now that I'm living that grown-up life, your girl can't be drinkin' all day in the sun. My body would revolt. And plus I'm just so much happier waking up on a Saturday and not feeling like dirt. My weekends are my time to GSD! (<– get sh*t done)
And those productive days must start with a power charged breakfast. That is an absolute must!
And what better way to start your morning with protein-packed quinoa breakfast bowls? Mexican flavors and ingredients at their best. At first
Today, Mexican flavors and ingredients are the stars. We're talking tomato, lime, avocado, and ALL the cilantro.
The base is my favorite cilantro-lime quinoa, which I kind of stole from Chipotle.
And it's super simple to make. Just quinoa, lime juice, lime zest, cilantro and a touch of salt! Topped with a warm fried egg, with the gooey yolk oozing into the quinoa? Mmm…seriously tasty.
Then we stir in chopped tomatoes, finely chopped spinach, diced avocado and top it all off with a soft-boiled egg. I'm not kidding… with that gooey yolk oozing into the quinoa and getting bites with creamy avocado? Mmm…seriously tasty!
This breakfast is like a fiesta in your mouth. It's light, bright and super flavorful, plus it's packed with tons of nutrients and will keep you energized for the day ahead. Trust me, this recipe is 100% worthy of a Cinco de Mayo celebration. Or just like a random Monday celebration!
Because kicking your Monday off like this will definitely make for one kick-ass week ahead!
More Healthy Mexican-inspired Recipes:
- Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Quinoa & Lentil Taco Meat
- Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Refried Bean Dip
- Jackfruit Enchiladas Verdes
Cinco de Mayo Quinoa Breakfast
- Add the quinoa to a large bowl. Stir in lime juice, zest, cilantro and season with salt. To this mixture, add the diced avocado, tomato and spinach, gently folding it all together to ensure the avocados smooshed. Separate into two bowls and set those aside while you make the eggs.
- Add the eggs to a small saucepan and cover completely with warm water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to rolling boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the eggs from the water and run under cold water until their cool to the touch. Remove the shell, then slice in half.
- Top each bowl with an egg. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and maybe a touch of hot sauce (if you can handle the heat!) and thoroughly enjoy. Ole!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Want more quinoa breakfast recipes?
Follow my board on Pinterest!