Apple Pie Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
These apple pie quinoa breakfast cookies are a great way to start the day. Packed with fiber, protein, and healthy fats, they're sweet, satisfying and tasty!
With October slowly coming to a close, I think it's about time we have this month's quinoa breakfast cookie, don't you? This month I decided to keep it very seasonal and share an apple pie themed breakfast cookie!
So far we've had a few pie-themed cookies, like the Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Cookies and last month's Pecan Pie Quinoa Breakfast Cookies, and apple was the logical next step. Especially since I'm sitting in Vermont right now, surrounded by fall foliage, with a basket of local apples sitting on the counter. Pretty much the ultimate fall treat!
Two things I'm most excited about when it comes to this month's cookie flavor:
1. We're using peanut butter, and apples & peanut butter is hands down my fave snack in the entire world
and 2. they're BANANA FREE!
I think that deserves to be in all caps because you guys have been asking for a banana free alternative for months and now I'm finally getting around to it.
And guess what? I'm also realizing you can totally swap applesauce for bananas in ALL the other breakfast cookie flavors (except for maybe the Chunky Monkey Quinoa Breakfast Cookies because banana is a key flavor). Hooray!
This time around, I'm also giving you a few substitution options too. And honestly, this goes for pretty much every breakfast cookie flavor so far!
- Use flaxseed eggs for vegan or regular eggs for a non-vegan option
- Use banana instead of applesauce for a sweeter cookie (though, less apple flavor of course)
- Any nut/seed butter can be used
- Any liquid sweetener can also be used (honey would be delicious here)
- Use quick cooking oats instead of quinoa flakes if you can't find them
And with that, I'll leave you to a) make these and b) vote on next month's flavor!
We only have two months left, but I have a few options that I'm considering. Which sounds best to you for November?
- Mocha Chocolate Chip
- Cinnamon Raisin
- Cranberry Orange
- or your choice!
Leave your top two flavors the comments below and we'll make it happen!
More Breakfast Cookie Recipes to try:
- Peanut Butter + Jelly Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Sea Salt + Date Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Pecan Pie Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
Apple Pie Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
Tasty cookies for breakfast on the go
- 1 flax egg* or 1 regular egg
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated + pressed apple measured after pressing, about 2 medium apples
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the egg, nut butter, applesauce and syrup, until completely smooth. Fold in the dry ingredients. Once combined, fold in the apples.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of dough onto the baking sheet and repeat until no dough remains. Gently flatten with your fingers.
- Bake cookies on the center rack for 13 - 15 minutes until edges are golden brown. Remove and let cool on the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
To make a flax egg, whisk together 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons warm water.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Want more quinoa breakfast recipes?
Follow my board on Pinterest!
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!