Peanut Butter + Jelly Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
These healthy quinoa breakfast cookies turn a classic flavor combination into a delectable breakfast treat. A chewy peanut butter base with a sweet chia jam!
And we're baaack…with another breakfast cookie recipe!
After the last few recipes – remember those Blueberry Muffin Quinoa Breakfast Cookies from last month? Or what about the Chunky Monkey Quinoa Breakfast Cookies in January?! – I did a quick poll and asked for some flavor suggestions for upcoming cookies. I got loads of fabulous ideas, many of which are definitely in the works, but one of my favorites was what we have today: peanut butter and jelly.
It's such a classic combination that brings back fun memories but also feels so natural to serve at breakfast. The peanut butter part comes in the form of the cookies and the jelly is an all-natural, homemade raspberry chia jam.
In the beginning, I was thinking these would be more like swirls, but then the idea thumbprint cookies came to mind and I knew that was it. Soft, chewy peanut butter cookies with a dab of sweet raspberry jam on top. It makes it so you get a little bit of both flavors in every bite, but not too much of either. It strikes the perfect balance between the peanut butter and jelly.
These cookies come together just like our other quinoa breakfast cookies – this time you're just using all peanut butter in the base instead of another nut butter. For the jam, I had leftover chia jam from my buckwheat porridge, but you could either whip some up yourself or just use your favorite (preferably naturally sweetened) jam/jelly.
And when you go to bake them, simply make a small indent with your thumb, put a small spoonful of jam on top and toss them in the oven. They'll come out warm and gooey, with just the right amount of sweetness.
The flavor is so reminiscent of the classic PB+J sandwiches I used to have as a kid that I seriously could not stop eating them. Usually, I send half a batch home with friends, but these ones I kept all for myself. They were my breakfast, snack, AND dessert for at least two days.
Now that I have this running list of flavor combinations – thanks to everyone who sent me some! – I'm thinking we'll have a monthly breakfast cookie flavor. Sounds kinda fun, huh? So far, here's what we have for 2016:
- January: Chunky Monkey
- February: Blueberry Muffin
- March: Peanut Butter + Jelly
- April: that's up to you!
I'm choosing between three flavors to go with next and I'd love your suggestion. Leave a comment with your choice and the one that gets the most votes will be next.
What flavor would you like to see next? The options are:
Choose your fave by writing 1, 2 or 3 in the comments or fill out the poll below 🙂
More Delicious Breakfast Cookies to try:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Sea Salt + Date Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Chunky Monkey Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Gingerbread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Blueberry Muffin Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Pecan Pie Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
Peanut Butter + Jelly Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
It's such a classic combination that brings back fun memories, but also feels so natural to serve at breakfast. The peanut butter part comes in the form of the cookies and the jelly is an all-natural, homemade raspberry chia jam.
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter this is my favorite brand
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 medium banana mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup raspberry chia jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the flaxseed meal and water, and set aside.
- Beat together peanut butter, syrup, banana and vanilla in a large bowl. Add flax egg and mix to combine.
- Pour in oats, quinoa flakes, baking powder, cinnamon and salt to the bowl and stir together. Drop 2 tablespoons of dough onto the baking sheet and repeat until no dough remains.
- Make an indent with your thumb or finger into the top of each cookie and spoon 1 teaspoon chia jam into the indentations.
- Bake cookies on center rack for 15 - 18 minutes until edges are golden brown. Remove and let cool on the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Enjoy at room temp or slightly reheated in a microwave.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Want more quinoa breakfast recipes?
Follow my board on Pinterest!
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!