Chunky Monkey Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
These quinoa breakfast cookies taste like dessert, but are healthy enough for breakfast! Flavored with banana, peanut butter, oats, quinoa & chocolate!
Posting a cookie recipe on the day that you're starting a 3-day juice cleanse probably isn't the best idea.
Here I am, sipping on green juice, practically drooling on my keyboard. I want to devour my screen! Seriously, all I want to be eating are these Chunky Monkey Quinoa Breakfast Cookies, and instead, I'm drinking vegetables and won't be having another bite of solid food for three days…wah!
BUT I couldn't resist sharing these. I made them on Friday and they were gone by Saturday, so that was a sign that you needed them as soon as possible.
We're big fans of breakfast cookies around here, aren't we? There's been a total of four different flavors so far – Toasted Coconut Quinoa Breakfast Cookies, Zucchini Bread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies (one of my faves!!), Carrot Cake Quinoa Breakfast Cookies and Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Cookies – and honestly, I think these new ones might be my favorite.
The goodies inside this version are just too hard to resist.
First, there's chocolate. We haven't had chocolate in our cookies yet, and let's be honest…chocolate just makes everything better.
Second, there's peanut butter + banana, which if you know me, is pretty much my absolute favorite combo.
Third, there are chopped dates which again…obsessed.
And fourth, well….they're cookies. for breakfast. I just can't even.
If you haven't tried quinoa breakfast cookies before, you might wonder, “are these actually suitable for breakfast?”
Yes, my friend, they are. They're gluten-free, vegan (which means no dairy, eggs or honey), oil-free and naturally sweetened. The base is banana, flaxseed meal, peanut butter and a little bit of maple syrup. Then we mix in oats, quinoa flakes, chia seeds, some spices and then our add-ins.
So basically…it's like we're eating a bowl of oatmeal but in cookie form.
I love the combo of oats and quinoa flakes because unlike using just oats, the quinoa flakes add more protein which makes each cookie just a teeny bit more filling.
It's Sunday meaning it's the perfect day to bake. I encourage you to whip up a batch of these babies because they'll be a great (and healthy!) breakfast for the week ahead. That is…if they last that long 😉
What other flavors would you like to see? I'm tossing around a chocolate brownie one and maybe one with freeze-dried berries (like strawberry cheesecake maybe?!), but is there any that come to mind for you? Let me know in the comments!
More Quinoa Breakfast Cookie Recipes
- Zucchini Bread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Blueberry Muffin Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Carrot Cake Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Sea Salt + Date Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
VIDEO: How to Make Chunky Monkey Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
Chunky Monkey Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- 1 flax egg 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or nut/seed butter of choice
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 medium banana mashed (+ slices for topping, optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 medjool dates pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the flaxseed meal and water, and set aside.
- Beat together peanut butter, syrup, banana and vanilla in a large bowl. Add flax egg and mix to combine.
- Pour in oats, quinoa flakes, baking powder, spices and salt to the bowl and stir together. Fold in chocolate chips, walnuts, dates and chia seeds.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of dough onto the baking sheet and repeat until no dough remains.
- Bake cookies on center rack for 15 - 18 minutes until edges are golden brown. Remove and let cool on the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Enjoy at room temp or slightly reheated in a microwave.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!