Cheddar Quinoa Biscuits
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
You might be surprised to see a recipe with cheddar in the title.
Normally I don’t eat cheddar cheese. You know that. I’ve been avoiding cow dairy for 4+ years now. So, what gives?
Well for me, not eating cheddar is kind of a sin since I grew up in Vermont, which is arguably one of the cheddar capitals of the world (we’ll fight Wisconsin for that title any day). But when you’re sensitive to dairy, you don’t have much choice, right?
Over two years ago, I started experimenting with goat and sheep cheeses. To my surprise, my stomach was okay. It didn’t fight back with the traditional symptoms I had been used to experiencing with other milk and cheese.
While I don’t eat dairy every day, or even every week, I do enjoy some goat or sheep cheese here and there. But I stick with just the cheese. I’ve tried goat and sheep yogurt as well as milk, and those do not sit well with me.
It seems that it’s only the cheese my body will accept. Which I’m totally okay with. It’s hard to say no to cheese.
But what does this have to do with cheddar? Cheddar is made with cow’s milk.
Yes, that’s what I thought too until I started to browse the cheese shelves at my local cheese store and came to discover that goat cheddar actually exists! It’s a sharp cheddar cheese, that’s shreddable and melts, that’s made from goat milk.
Seriously, it’s been a life saver.
Cheddar biscuits have always been a favorite of mine, especially when served with chili (have you tried my quinoa version?!). And these biscuits are every bit as delicious as I remember them to be. And I have thoroughly enjoyed eating them.
I’ve used them for sandwiches. I’ve dipped them in soup. I’ve eaten them warm with jam. I’ve toasted them and spread them with goat cheese – just like you see in the pictures today. And I’ve used them in a recipe that’s coming to the site next week, which I think you’re going to absolutely love!
In addition to these quinoa biscuits being gluten-free, they’re also egg-free and cow’s milk-free. They use a blend of gluten-free flours, goat cheddar and almond milk. And I promise they are just divine!
Cheddar Quinoa Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cheddar and mix until evenly combined.
- Pour milk into bowl and mix together with a fork until dough begins to come together.
- Dump contents of bowl onto baking sheet and form into a large disk using wet hands.
- Either cut into triangles or cut into rounds using a glass or biscuit cutter. If making rounds, reshape dough after cuts, until no dough remains.
- Bake on center rack for 15 - 16 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove, let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.