This delicious strawberry spinach salad is made with toasted quinoa and chopped almonds, then topped with a fresh honey-lime + mint dressing.
So much goodness is happening in this bowl.
Strawberries + spinach + almonds + toasted quinoa. All drizzled with a minty honey-lime dressing. Pretty much sums up everything I love about summer in one giant salad.
Remember when I told you on Sunday that I might start adding fruit to more of our main meals? Yep. It’s happening. Let’s just roll with it.
Because we’re deep in the middle of strawberry season, and I’m a total strawberry girl at heart.
Fun fact: picking strawberries used to be one of my favorite summer activities, but now that we live in NYC…strawberry fields are not so plentiful. Thank goodness for farmer’s markets. They’re seriously a life saver this time of year.
Okay, back to this salad.
I was a little unsure of how the strawberry spinach salad thing would work. I had this grand vision in my head of what it would be, so pulling off the flavors on my first try? Highly unlikely. BUT it totally happened. Sheer luck.
Over anything in this whole dish, it’s the dressing that really makes this salad shine. It reminds me of a mojito but without all the sweetness. It’s tart, light, and refreshing. I could almost drink it but that would be gross.
And when you mix it with strawberries? Kind of perfect. And then on top of some spinach, tossed with some crunchy nuts and toasted quinoa? Again, perfection.
I was so in love with the flavors of this salad that I actually it brought over to a friend’s house for dinner the next day. Thankfully it was a huge hit and that’s when I knew I needed to share!
Everyone loved the addition of fruit (even Matt who is a self-proclaimed strawberry hater <- I know I don’t like to talk about it) and the toasted quinoa… well, you know how I feel about that.
This is pretty much the ultimate summertime salad. It can be served as a side dish or even spruced up as a main course by adding in your favorite protein. It would be amazing with grilled chicken or roasted chickpeas.
Summertime eats for the win!
Share this recipe!
More Quinoa Salads To Try!
- Wild Rice Quinoa Salad with Asparagus + Lemon-Turmeric Vinaigrette
- Saffron Middle Eastern Quinoa Salad
- Fall Quinoa Salad with Butternut Squash and Apples
- Moroccan Quinoa Salad
- Green Bean & Almond Quinoa Salad
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Toasted Quinoa
- 5 oz container fresh spinach about 6 cups
- 1 pint fresh strawberries about 2 cups, quartered
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup toasted quinoa cooled (check out this post for a tutorial)
for the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Place all dressing ingredients into a blender and blend on high until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, add spinach and top with strawberries, almonds and quinoa. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to two hours before serving.