Do you love mac and cheese but hate the calories and fat that come along with it? We're serving up a super healthy version in this quinoa mac and cheese!
Still to this day, even though I know how awful it is for me, I sometimes crave Kraft macaroni and cheese. It's so weird, because that was never anything that I even ate growing up (we were an Annie's family all the way). There's just something about that box of
junk delicious pasta that makes my mouth water (eww…I'm grossed out just writing that).
But for those of us who like to eat healthy not shove our faces with that orange-tinged pasta gook, you need to search for alternatives.
Which is exactly what we're doing today. And we're making it as easy as humanly possible.
The base of this quinoa mac and cheese is not the heavy cream or milk that you're used to. In fact, we've used butternut squash to create the ultra creamy sauce. Instead of noodles, we opted for quinoa (which is packed with protein and nutrients of course). We've got a little cheese thrown into the mix, but for those of you vegans I'm sure Daiya or an alternatve.
Basically, what I'm saying here, is that is a 100% guilt free mac n' cheese recipe that your entire family with gobble up – even the kiddos. It's seriously addicting.
Can't wait to hear what you think of this quinoa mac and cheese recipe! I swear, it's like my favorite meal on the planet right now…!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel and seed butternut squash. Chop into 1″ chunks, add to a stock pot, cover with 1″ of water and boil until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a blender.
- Add almond milk and dijon mustard into blender and blend on high until silky smoothy and creamy. Add more milk as needed – texture should be thick, but easily pourable.
- Transfer to a bowl and add quinoa and cheese. Stir until combined.
- Spoon mac n’ cheese into ramekins (or baking dish), smooth tops and bake for 20 – 30 minutes, until bubbly.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly and enjoy immediately.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 347kcal Calories from fat 117|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Want more quinoa dinner recipes?
Follow my board on Pinterest!