This vegan hot chocolate recipe is sweetened with maple syrup with a generous pinch of sea salt. It's creamy, decadent and the perfect drink for anyone who loves the salty-sweet combo!
There's nothing cozier than hot chocolate! Rich and creamy, topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, it's the ultimate winter treat!
I don't know about you, but I've always been a salty-sweet fan. And I think salt + chocolate go hand in hand. So when I was trying to brainstorm a new vegan hot chocolate recipe, my mind immediately went to sea salt.
So that's what we have here! A maple sea salt hot chocolate that has that lovely salty-sweetness, is still rich and chocolatey and that couldn't be easier to make.
What You Need to Make this Recipe
I wanted to try and make this recipe on the lighter side, so rather than opting for melted chocolate and milk, I went with some healthier alternatives.
- Raw cacao powder: this is unprocessed cocoa powder that has a really lovely chocolate flavor. It's not overly bitter and has more nutrients in it because it hasn't been heated.
- Maple syrup: we're sweetening this recipe with maple syrup which provides caramel undertones to the flavor which is amazing!
- Sea salt: just a pinch is all you need – trust me, it's delicious!
- Coconut milk: in order to give this hot chocolate some creaminess, I added some full-fat coconut milk
- Cinnamon: optional, but if you're a fan of cinnamon, it adds a lot to the flavor!
- Hot water: and we'll finish this off with some boiling water!
How to Make Vegan Hot Chocolate
This hot chocolate is crazy simple to make. It's like my matcha lattes – basically, just blend it all up!
You can make this recipe in a blender or a frother. I like the blender since it really mixes well and adds even more froth, but both will work.
You'll want to add all the dry ingredients into the blender/frother first. Then add in your coconut and finally your hot water. Then just blend it up until it's smooth and creamy, pour it into your mugs, and enjoy!
What to Serve with Vegan Hot Cocoa
You really can't go wrong when it comes to serving hot chocolate. And for me, it depends on what I'm craving at the moment/what vibe I'm going for.
- Fancy: if you're going fancy, I think vegan whipped cream + chocolate shavings is the way to go. Throw a cinnamon stick in there too – makes it look so cute!
- Fun: if you're just having fun, marshmallows all the way! I love these mini vegan marshmallows from Dandies!
- Jazzy: and if you're going for something a bit jazzy, I think doing some whipped cream, marshmallows, and crumbled up candy canes is how to do it!
But obviously, toppings aren't necessary and this vegan hot chocolate is delicious as is. It's elevated in its flavor, but it's totally easy to make and even kids will love it!
More Cozy Winter Drinks to try:
- Beautifying Rose Matcha Latte
- Vegan + Caffeine Free Maca Latte
- Pumpkin Spice Matcha Latte
- Vegan Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Maple Sea Salt Vegan Hot Chocolate
- Add all the ingredients to a frother or blender and mix until creamy. Top with vegan whipped cream, maybe some chocolate shavings and anything else you love.