Rustic Tuscan Pasta with White Beans
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
Creamy and heart-stoppingly delicious. Pure love with each bite.
This is only kind of dish that I want to be eating on Valentine’s Day because with every taste it's like you’re being wrapped you up in a giant love hug. And trust me, if food really could hug you, it would only be when it was this rustic Tuscan pasta with white beans.
Matt and I are fairly laid back when it comes to the big V-day. Last year we stayed in with a nice bottle of red wine and ordered take out from our favorite pizza place. Also a movie on Netflix of course. Followed by chocolate.
This year likely won’t be much different. I’ll go to my evening yoga class (my own personal love language), but instead of getting takeout, I'll be swinging by the grocery store so I can make this pasta dish. We’ll have wine and Netflix will most certainly be playing in the background. We’re currently binge watching Criminal Minds and I seriously can’t get enough – it’s so good!
We like to keep things simple and that’s why we work so well together. Neither one of us feels the need to spend hundreds of dollars on an over-priced five course meal only to come home with stomach aches and realizing we could have made something better at home.
Like this comforting pasta.
And perhaps a batch of my red velvet brownies – we must have chocolate!
Okay this pasta. It is seriously so dreamy. And it’s not just the hearty white beans, or the juicy tomatoes or, the handfuls of kale, or even the little specks of quinoa. Nope, it’s the tomato cream sauce.
A luxurious sauce that’s only three ingredients and tastes out of this world. It coats each noodle with a rich, sweet flavor and makes the whole dish satisfyingly delicious.
And get this: it’s vegan too! Oh heck yes I did that.
For all of you lovelies who can’t have dairy but still adore your cream-based sauces (ahem…yours truly), this pasta will forever change your life. That might be a little bold yes, but this is a sauce that you can use over and over again, dish after dish. It’s quick, it’s easy and it’s basic so it will go with pretty much every ingredient under the sun.
I just happened to toss it on this v-day worthy Tuscan pasta, but I’m already thinking of more ways to use it.
Share this recipe!
Rustic Tuscan White Bean Pasta
for the beans:
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Great Northern Beans soaked with 8 hours
- Enough water to cover beans by 1"
- After you've soaked and rinsed the beans, add them to a large pot with the water. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce to simmer for 40 - 60 minutes until the beans are tender but the skin is still intact.
- Drain beans in a fine mesh strainer. Run them under some cold water briefly and then transfer to a large bowl while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions or until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a large skillet, add pasta, 1/2 the can of tomatoes, beans, quinoa and greens. Saute with a bit of pasta water until greens have wilted and everything is heated through, about 3 - 5 minutes. Add a splash more of pasta if it begins to get dry.
- While the pasta and veggies are cooking, make the sauce by combining the remaining tomatoes, cashews nutritional yeast and 1/4 cup the pasta water into a high powered blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the sauce to the pan and cook for another few minutes until everything is evenly coated and warm. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
If you are following along with our Vegetarian Challenge, make sure to use the hashtag #SQchallenge to share your versions of the recipes!
This post was sponsored by the awesome folks over at Bob’s Red Mill. Thanks for supporting the companies and brands that promote the healthy, sustainable lifestyle that I believe in and share on SQ!
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!