Strawberry Banana Quinoa Waffles
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
These healthy, gluten-free quinoa waffles are studded with banana and strawberries, are made in a blender and make a perfect weekend breakfast!
One of my favorite things about summer is fresh berries.
Seriously. There’s almost nothing that makes me happier than seeing those first quarts of strawberries at the farmer’s market. It means that summer has officially begun and my world is about to be filled with berry-flavored everything.
While we might still be a few weeks away from berry season, I couldn’t hold off in sharing this recipe with you.
For one, today is mother’s day and this is the ultimate breakfast to serve her (preferably with a hot cup of coffee or tea, the newspaper AND while she’s still in bed). <– brownie points!
To me, berries make any dish better. Whether it’s a simple bowl of homemade granola or these decadent quinoa waffles, garnish with a few fresh berries and it instantly becomes special. Like totally Mother’s Day kind of special.
So why not whip up a batch of this ultra-fabulous strawberry + banana quinoa waffles, wow your mom and show her how much you love and appreciate her!
The great thing about these waffles is even though they sound a tad bit unhealthy, they’re actually not! I used the recipe for my banana quinoa pancakes as a guide, added in some cooked quinoa and chopped strawberries, then just made them in a waffle iron instead.
And obviously drizzled them with a generous amount of maple syrup 🙂
If you haven’t made those pancakes (and I highly suggest that you do!), they’re made in the blender (woo hoo!) and use just oats, plant-based milk, a banana, some eggs, some baking powder and a touch of salt. And that’s it!
Then, to make them the perfect Mother’s Day breakfast, I added in my chopped strawberries and cooked quinoa. The quinoa for some protein and the berries for that sweet, tart, burst-of-berry-flavor with every bite.
And I have to tell you, out of all the waffles I’ve made, Matt and I both agreed these are the best.
Next time? I’m going to add in some coconut!
Happy Mother’s Day to all the awesome moms out there. And a special shout out to my amazing mom who constantly inspires me, encourages me to chase after my dreams and is my best friend. I love you, Mom!
More Healthy & Delicious Waffles Recipes to try:
- Savory Zucchini Almond Flour Waffles
- Fluffy Gluten-Free Gingerbread Waffles
- Simply Perfect Quinoa Waffles
- Omega-3 Sweet Potato Waffles
- Sweet Potato & Pineapple Quinoa Waffles
Strawberry Banana Quinoa Waffles
- Add 1 1/2 of oats into a blender and blend on high until fine and powdery. Pulse in baking powder, salt and sugar if using.
- Add milk, banana and egg. Blend on high until smooth.
- Pour batter into a mixing bowl and fold in quinoa, remaining oats and strawberries.
- Preheat the waffle iron to medium-high heat. Grease with nonstick spray (or coconut oil) and scoop 1/4 - 1/3 cup of batter onto the iron. Cook until waffle maker indicates they're done.
- Transfer to a wire rack and repeat until no batter remains.
- Serve with additional chopped strawberries and warm maple syrup. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a pic and share it on Instagram using #SIMPLYQUINOA – I want to see your own quinoa creations!
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!