These Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are filled with quinoa, kale, hazelnuts and topped with a creamy tahini dressing. Makes for a hearty main or side dish!
As I was searching for something to make for dinner last night, I decided to forgo my usual scroll through Pinterest and turn to my own archives. There are so many good recipes there that just seem to get lost in the shuffle and when I stumbled upon these Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, I felt like I hit the jackpot.
I couldn't really remember making the recipe, but I remember feeling super proud of the photos at the time. But now looking back, they definitely needed a little updating. I will say though, seeing the progress in my own journey is super fun!
So rather than recreate the entire recipe from scratch, which is often what I do (even with other people's recipes…something Matt can't stand about me hehe ????), I cooked it as is and made just one small tweak.
You know me! I can't seem to make a meal without my greens!
And honestly, they were perfection. I was actually a little surprised with myself! Soft, sweet, tender, perfectly roasted potatoes, filled with a nutty, lemony quinoa mixture ???????? It was cozy, comforting, hearty and everything that my body was craving at that very minute.
In my view, these quinoa stuffed sweet potatoes are the epitome of a perfect winter meal.
And mostly because of the sweet potatoes.
So let's talk them, shall we? Sweet potatoes are a sensational ingredient and a must-have in my winter meals. They're sweet, packed with nutrients and insanely good for you.
Just to name a few of the benefits, sweet potatoes are loaded with Vitamin C, which we all know helps keep our immune system strong (which is especially important as cold and flu season is now upon us). They are also filled with Vitamin D which is critical to our immune health but also boosts our energy levels and our moods. A food that makes you happy? Can't get much better than that!
And of course, to finish the whole dish off, we needed something creamy.
I went with a classic: lemon, tahini and water.
It's my go-to combo for…well pretty much everything and it definitely didn't fail this time around. It gave the potatoes a little extra tang and really helped to give the quinoa mixture some extra creaminess. It pulled it all together and was the perfect end to what has now become one of my favorite wintertime meals.
So yes friends, these Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes were a beyond perfect meal. They're keeping me healthy, they're making me happy, they're fueling my body with protein, carbs and tons of nutrients, and leaving my tummy feeling oh-so content.
More Healthy Dinner Recipes:
- Chipotle Butternut Squash & White Bean Burgers
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Mediterranean Quinoa
- Cilantro Lime Black Bean Quinoa Tacos
- Korean Quinoa Bibimbap
- Beet Noodle Falafel Bowls from Inspiralized Everything
- Chili Roasted Sweet Potato + Black Bean Quinoa Salad
VIDEO: How To Make Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Puncture the sweet potatoes with a fork and place them in a baking dish. Bake until soft, and knife slides into the flesh easily, about 35 – 45 minutes depending on the size.
- Meanwhile, prepare the quinoa mixture by heating the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Saute the garlic and shallot until fragrant, about 3 – 5 minutes. Add the cooked quinoa, hazelnuts and kale, drizzle with lemon juice to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Turn down to low and stir occasionally until the sweet potatoes are done.
- When the sweet potatoes are soft, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Once cooled, transfer them to a plate, split them open with a sharp knife and spoon the quinoa into the center.
- Whisk together the tahini dressing ingredients and pour on top of sweet potatoes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.