This slow cooker Moroccan Chickpea Stew is filled with tons of vegetables but is hearty and comforting. It's easy to make, is healthy and totally delicious!
Even though I work from home and have plenty of time to cook, I almost always find myself scrambling to get something together for dinner. Especially this time of year with all the holiday craziness, I just don't seem to be able to get my head on straight.
Enter: my trusty slow cooker!
Slow cooker meals always save the day (have you tried my Slow Cooker Coconut Quinoa Curry yet!?). You just throw everything into the pot, turn it on and go about your business. And today we're making a fragrant and nourishing slow cooker Moroccan chickpea stew with butternut squash! How good does that sound!?
I've seen these stews made before where you saute all the veggies together, but honestly, I found the flavor was equally as good when I just tossed them in my slow cooker. So that's what we're doing. We're simplifying as much as possible.
So what do we need? Let's talk about it.
For this recipe, the only hands-on time is prepping your veggies and opening a few cans. Otherwise, it's easy peasy.you're going to have to do is you're going to nee
We're going with chopped onion, minced garlic, sweet bell peppers, tender butternut squash, creamy red lentils and plump little chickpeas to round it out.
But what truly makes this a Moroccan chickpea stew is the aromatic spices!
With a combination of turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, paprika and pepper, this stew comes alive with flavor and spice! I also sprinkled in a little cayenne pepper for heat, but that's totally optional. You know how much I love to add a kick to my recipes!
For serving, I kept it super simple.
Fluffy white quinoa
Arugula (or another bitter green)
Hot pepper flakes
Do you like cooking in a slow cooker? I'd love to hear some of your favorite recipes! I'm looking to add more dishes to my slow cooker library, so send em my way!
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Crockpot Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quinoa Chili
- Tuscan Kale & White Bean Stew
- Slow Cooker White Quinoa Chili
- Slow Cooker Coconut Quinoa Curry
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small butternut squash peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can pure tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper + more as needed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- to serve:
- cooked quinoa
- coconut yogurty
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker. Stir together to combine, then cover and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours (or 6 - 7 hours on low).
- For a thicker stew, remove the cover with 1 hour left in cooking.
- Serve with quinoa, a handful of arugula and a dollop of yogurt.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Want more quinoa dinner recipes?
Follow my board on Pinterest!