Healthy Apple Crumble Bars
These Healthy Apple Crumble Bars are made with just 10 simple ingredients and use only one bowl! They're naturally sweetened, gluten-free and vegan too!
What do you get when you combine apple pie and granola bars? An amazing breakfast/dessert that tastes like a decadent sweet treat but is actually healthy.
Yep, you heard it here first. These apple crumble bars are not only tasty but actually good for you!
Why? Because they're made with whole grains, nuts, natural sweeteners, and real fruit. Nothing artificial here, just pure, clean deliciousness.
The Perfect Crumble Topping
You might recognize this base from my healthy raspberry oatmeal bars, but it really does make the perfect crumble. Unlike traditional crumble toppings, you don't need butter and you need very little sugar for this version. Yet you're left with those glorious crunchy clusters that can easily put other crumbles to shame.
The best part of all? Our crumble topping is also our base!
So you just need one bowl to make this entire recipe (which I personally think is a major win when it comes to baking) and 10 ingredients!
GF & Vegan Apple Crumble Bars
Once we've got our base/topping done, we can move onto the apples!
Similar to an apple pie or crisp, you want to quickly toss your apples with some cinnamon, a sweetener (in this case maple syrup), and a touch of starch. The starch is optional, but it helps make everything a little more gooey and soft.
To make this dessert gluten-free and vegan, we're using a blend of quick cooking oats (make sure they're GF!), almond flour and quinoa flour, then tossing in a flax egg instead of a chicken egg. I personally love the combo of these ingredients and you'll see them in a lot of my baked goods because all three not only add great texture, but we also get amazing nutrients.
These are bars are high in:
- Healthy Fats
I'd say definitely better than most other dessert recipes you see!
Next time, rather than slaving away at an apple pie, whip up a batch of these healthy apple crumble bars. They'll satisfy that sweet, apple craving, but they're far easier to make, take way less time and are healthier!
They're a triple whammy ????and they're pretty much the best fall dessert/breakfast on the planet. You def need them in your life!
More Healthy Apple Dessert Recipes:
Healthy Apple Crumble Bars
for the base & crumble:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8X8 baking dish with parchment and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Mix in the syrup and coconut oil and crumble with your hands until it resembles a coarse, sandy texture. Remove 1/2 cup of the dough for the topping.
- Add the flax egg to the bowl and stir to form a sticky dough. Transfer the dough to the baking pan and press it evenly with your fingers or a flat-bottomed glass.
- Toss all the apple ingredients together until combined and pour on top of the base. Spread out evenly with a spatula. Crumble the reserved oat topping over the jam.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 40 - 45 minutes until the oats are golden brown. Check after 30 and cover with foil if the topping is getting too brown. Remove and cool for 30 minutes, then transfer to the fridge and cool completely. Slice into squares and serve!