Apple Pie Energy Bites
These healthy Apple Pie Energy Bites are the perfect way to avoid that afternoon crash! Nutritious, energizing, vegan, gluten-free and seriously tasty!
Tis the season of busy schedules and all things cinnamon-spiced!
And since so many of us are constantly on the go, today we're making a healthy snack that is portable, nutritious, simple to prepare and tastes like dessert!
These apple pie energy bites are going to be your new fave treat. You can pack a few up when you head out the door (or store them at the office) and have a healthy little something to reach for when your energy starts to dip in the afternoon.
As with all our energy bites, we're starting with a base of dried fruit. This time around I chose dates which are high in iron, super sticky and taste kind of like caramel, combined with dried apples.
Grinding those up with some almonds, peanut butter, coconut oil and spices, and you're left with this delectable ball of apple pie flavored dough. The perfect base for your energy bites!
The first taste of the dough was delicious, but I felt like they needed something a little more.
They were sweet, yes, but they looked kind of boring and weren't quite as dessert-worthy as I wanted. My solution? A dusting of cinnamon + maple sugar ❤️
The maple sugar is just a little sweet, adds this amazing coating that reminds me of donut holes, and definitely takes these apple pie energy bites to the next level. Totally optional, but highly recommended!
Once you take a bite, you'll know what I mean.
They're soft and chewy, but have a slight crunch from the almonds. The cinnamon is expected, but the nutmeg is a pleasant surprise and gives these little balls a bright pop of flavor.
And of course, the best part about these bites is that they're 100% portable. You don't have to worry about refrigerating them either (although they are delicious cold); you can just pop them in your bag and be on your way to the office or gym.
You can often mind me munching my way to West End Avenue to yoga/barre. My new fave pre-workout snack!
So whether you're in a snack rut, are a lover of all things apple pie, or just need a little sweetness in your life, or a combo of all three, get after these apple pie energy bites. They'll delight your taste buds, fuel your body and make you realize that snacking on dessert is probably the best thing ever.
More Energy Bite Recipes to Try:
- Matcha Protein Balls,
- Lemon Protein Balls
- Sea Salt + Dark Chocolate Quinoa Energy Balls
- Healthy Cake Batter Energy Bites
- PB&J Energy Bites
- Coconut Chai Protein Quinoa Energy Bites
- No-Bake Gingerbread Energy Balls
Apple Pie Energy Bites
- 1 cup medjool dates about 10
- 1 packed cup dried apple rings
- 1/2 cup almonds or nuts of choice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg depending on taste
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 - 2 tablespoons water or more nut butter
- for rolling: 1 tablespoon maple sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- Add dates and apples to a food processor and process on high until finely ground. Add nuts and grind again until combined.
- Add spices, peanut butter and coconut oil, and process again until a dough begins to form. If the mixture is too dry, add water one tablespoon at a time until the mixture comes together into a sticky dough.
- Form mixture into balls and repeat until no dough remains.
- Roll the balls in the maple sugar-cinnamon mixture, then store in the fridge or freezer.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.