Basic Breakfast Burrito
This easy breakfast burrito recipe is full of classic breakfast flavors, with lots of eggs, bacon, and cheese. It’s fresh, filling, and only takes 15 minutes to make!
This breakfast burrito is the ultimate way to start your morning. It’s packed with the wonderful breakfast trio of bacon, eggs, and cheese, but also has lots of fresh veggies. There’s a kick from the red pepper flakes, and everyone’s breakfast burrito favorite: avocado!
Yep, this basic breakfast burrito will leave you energized, satisfied, and ready to kick off your day.
It’s also really easy to make. This breakfast burrito recipe uses ingredients that you’re likely to have in the pantry and fridge, and it comes together in about 15 minutes. I recommend topping the burritos with my Super Easy Spicy Mango Salsa, and serving them with my Peanut Butter and Jelly Mini Muffins and a Vegan Whipped Matcha Latte. That’s a breakfast that can’t be beat!
What You’ll Need
Make sure to check out the recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact quantities for each of these ingredients.
- Milk – If you want to make this recipe dairy-free, use unsweetened almond milk.
- Soy sauce
- Red pepper flakes
- Unsalted butter – If you want to make this recipe dairy-free, use unsalted vegan butter.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – You can use other types of cheese, but cheddar is best. If you want to make this recipe dairy-free, use vegan cheese.
- Veggies – I like to use tomatoes, corn, bell peppers, onions, asparagus, and sautéed mushrooms, but you can use whatever you have handy.
Why Soy Sauce?
Soy sauce might stand out as an unconventional ingredient in a basic breakfast burrito recipe, but it helps make perfect scrambled eggs. Instead of using salt in the eggs, soy sauce provides the sodium while also adding a hit of umami. Because soy sauce is a liquid, it also gets more evenly dispersed through the eggs than salt does.
How to Make Basic Breakfast Burritos
Now, onto the fun part! As you’re about to see, this recipe is quick and easy.
- Cook the bacon. Put your bacon in an air fryer at 350F for about 6 minutes, flipping halfway through. The bacon should be crispy all over. For more detail on cooking bacon in the air fryer, check out my recipe [LINK].
- Make the egg mixture. Put the eggs, milk, soy sauce, and chili flakes in a bowl, and whisk until everything is combined.
- Cook the eggs. Melt some butter in a skillet on medium heat. Pour the eggs into the pan, then lower the heat to medium-low. Cook the eggs until the edges are set, about 30 seconds.
- Finish the eggs. Add cheese and continue cooking, stirring gently, until the eggs are set.
- Start the burrito. Lay down your tortillas, and put avocado slices on them. Season the avocado with salt and pepper.
- Add the rest of the toppings. Divide the eggs between the tortillas, then add the bacon slices. If you’re using veggies, add them here.
- Fold the burrito. Take the ends of the tortilla and fold them in, then roll up the breakfast burrito.
- Sear. Place the breakfast burritos in a dry skillet over medium heat and sear until golden and crispy, about 1 or 2 minutes. Cut in half and consume!
Tips for Success
This basic breakfast burrito is easy to make, but here are a few tricks to make it perfect every time.
- Use a ripe avocado. The avocado in this recipe is there as much for texture as for flavor. Make sure to pick a ripe avocado, so that it is creamy and soft to go along with the eggs.
- Use your favorite veggies. This recipe works well with almost any veggies, so it’s a great time to use up what’s in your fridge. If you have some vegetables that need to be used up, you can probably add them to this breakfast burrito.
- Give it a good sear. Searing the breakfast burrito at the end isn’t just about getting the flavor and texture of a crispy tortilla. You also want to seal the opening. Sear with the folded side down until the tortilla is cooked together, so it won’t fall apart when you eat it.
How to Store Breakfast Burritos
These burritos will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can reheat them in the microwave, or in the oven. They’re an excellent meal to make ahead of time for an easy breakfast!
Can This Recipe Be Frozen?
Yes! Wrap each basic breakfast burrito in aluminum foil, and place in a ziplock bag, then store in the freezer for up to 2 months. You can reheat them without thawing them, in the microwave or in the oven. If you reheat them in the microwave, remove the aluminum foil. Keep the aluminum foil on if reheating in the oven.
Basic Breakfast Burritos
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes , to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or vegan butter)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (or vegan cheese)
- 2 large tortillas
- .5 avocado , sliced
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Optional veggies toppings: diced tomato , fresh corn kernels, diced red/yellow bell pepper, sauteed mushrooms, onions, or asparagus
- Preheat an air fryer to 350F. Place the bacon slices in the air fryer basket and cook for 6 minutes, flipping halfway through. The bacon should be crispy all over. If you don't have an air fryer, cook the bacon with whatever your preferred method is.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 30 seconds, until the edges are set, then sprinkle with the cheese. Continue to cook, stirring gently, until just set.
- Place the tortillas on a large cutting board or plates. Thinly slice half an avocado over each tortilla, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Divide the eggs between the tortillas, then top with the bacon slices. If using veggies, add them on top. Fold closed.
- If you like, sear the burritos in the empty skillet over medium heat for 1-2 minutes per side, until crisp and golden.
share what you make
Tag #simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations! We love sharing what you make with the community. We can’t wait to see!