Healthy Baked Salmon Salad
This healthy salmon salad is made with a bed of mixed greens, tossed with cabbage, carrots and green onions, then is topped with roasted new potatoes and the perfect baked pepper salmon.
A lot of people assume that I'm fully vegan because I share mostly plant-based recipes. But I'm actually not! While my diet is focused primarily around plants, I also like to incorporate eggs, honey, and fish from time to time.
And lately, my absolute favorite dinner has been this healthy salmon salad.
I'm so obsessed that we've started making it at least 2 times per week. It's quick, it's easy, it's packed with nutrition and it's seriously delicious. You get the freshness from the raw veggies, the comfort food from the roasted potatoes, and all the zing you need with that baked pepper salmon on top!
How to Make Baked Pepper Salmon
What I love about salmon is that it can be flavored many different ways. You can go a more smoky route by using chili powder, you can lean into the Asian flavors with soy, ginger and lime, and more.
But I personally love to keep things simple. A little bit of tamari for salt and TONS of cracked pepper. Plain, simple and delish!
To make baked pepper salmon:
- rinse and pat dry your salmon filets
- add them to a baking dish
- drizzle with tamari/soy sauce (or season with salt)
- top with a LOT of cracked pepper
And then just bake it at 425ºF for about 9 minutes and you'll have perfect salmon!
Ingredients for my Healthy Salmon Salad
Since the weather is getting warm, I've been craving more and more salads. But I also like my salads to be substantial, meaning they actually fill me up.
That's why I decided to go with a blend of raw veggies, cooked veggies and salmon.
Here are the ingredients we're using:
- Mixed greens (or your fave salad green)
- Shredded purple cabbage
- A sliced carrot (or bell pepper)
- Sliced green onions
- Roasted new potatoes
- Baked pepper salmon
And then we're tossing it all together with our staple salad dressing: Matt's Best Shallot Dressing. If you haven't made this yet, you must – it's amazing!
How to make Healthy Salmon Salad
When I was doing research on what to name this recipe, I googled salmon salad and it was actually mostly salmon versions of tuna salad, not so much this.
But this is still technically a salmon salad, so we're going with it! To make this recipe, it's just a few simple steps:
Prep & bake the potatoes. You'll cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes total, but you'll end up adding the salmon on halfway through.
Prep & bake your salmon. You see that little tin foil “boat” in the photos? That's how I keep the salmon separate from the potatoes and keep the juice from the tamari from leaking all over the pan.
Make your salad! Just toss all your veggies together with your dressing, then divide them between two plates. From there, top it with your potatoes and a piece of salmon for each and you're done!
The BEST Salmon Salad Recipe
I can honestly tell you, this is the best salmon salad I've ever had. I literally love it so much! I kept sharing photos on Instagram and you guys always asked for the recipe, so I'm finally sharing it.
And I know you're going to love it!
If you're not a salmon fan – and are reading this post simply out of curiosity – you can totally swap the salmon with tofu, grilled chicken, shrimp, steak, etc. But if you like salmon, go for it. You won't be disappointed!!
More Healthy Dinner Salad Recipes to try:
- Summery Sprink Mix Salad with Crispy Chickpeas
- Creamy Superfood Kale & Lentil Quinoa Salad
- Vegan Cobb Salad
- Tofu Salad Nicoise
- Creamy Kale Salad with Smoky Tempeh Croutons
Healthy Baked Salmon Salad
for the salmon:
- 2 (4 - 5 oz) wild caught salmon filets (or artic char)
- 2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh cracked pepper
for the potatoes:
- 1/3 lb new potatoes (about 10)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
for the salad:
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot , thinly sliced
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of the Best Shallot Dressing (or dressing of choice)
- Fresh dill to garnish , optional
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Fold a piece of foil into a rectangle and then pinch up the sides. Place the salmon, skin side down, into the foil "boat". Top with tamari and sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper. Set aside.
- Cute the potatoes into quarters. Add to a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss with your hands to combine. Pop in the oven for 20 minutes.
- When you have 10 minutes left on your timer, toss the potatoes around and add the salmon onto the pan as well. Finish baking.
- While the salmon and potatoes are finishing, add all the salad ingredients into a large bowl. Toss to combine. Drizzle with dressing and toss again. Divide evenly between two dishes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Divide the potatoes equally onto each salad. Top each salad with a piece of salmon and sprinkle with fresh dill, if desired.