Learn how to make refreshing Watermelon Margaritas with fresh fruit, lime juice, tequila and jalapeños for a bit of spice. The perfect summer cocktail for celebrating.
I first made this recipe to celebrate the one-year anniversary of my blog!
And years later, I still love making these fruity, summery drinks.
So I thought I'd update the post with new photos and tips so that you can enjoy refreshing watermelon margaritas all summer long. I know I will be!
How to Make Watermelon Margaritas
Get out your blender and find the juiciest watermelon you can, it's time to mix up some party drinks!
Here's what you need to make your watermelon cocktails:
- Fresh watermelon. Choose one that's heavy and sounds hollow when you knock on it. That's a good hint it's full of sweet juice.
- Lime juice. Lime is the tart, acidic flavor to balance the sweetness of the melon.
- Tequila. The classic choice is white tequila for margaritas. Of course, these are your cocktails, so feel free to use whatever liquor you like. Or go alcohol-free!
- Jalapeno. I recommend some peppers to add a kick to this summery drink. But if you're not a fan of spice, you can omit the jalapeños.
- Ice. For the frosty, frothy texture you're looking for.
How to Make a Salt Rim
Serve your watermelon margaritas in stemmed glasses if you like. Or, use your regular water glasses. The important thing is that the rim is coated in a thin layer of ice.
Here's how to salt your margarita glass rims:
- Place a layer of salt in a shallow dish or on a plate.
- Rub a lime wedge all the way around the rim of your empty glass.
- Immediately invert the glass into the salt, turning it to coat on all sides.
- Voila: you have an expertly rimmed glass ready to fill up with your chilled melon cocktail.
How Many Servings Does it Make?
This recipe makes four margaritas. You can double or triple it to serve a crowd!
Is There Sugar in Watermelon Margaritas?
Watermelon is so naturally sweet on its own, you don't need to add any sweetener to this recipe. While most margaritas have agave or simple syrup in them, this is a lighter and healthier version, sweetened naturally with watermelon juice.
More Summer Cocktail Recipes
If you make this Watermelon Margarita recipe, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
- 2 cups fresh watermelon
- Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1 jalapeno , seeded (optional)
- 6 ice cubes
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender. If you like spice, add the jalapeno!
- Blend on high for 1 minute, until the ice cubes are crushed.
- Serve and enjoy!