These Healthy Grapefruit Margaritas are a fun twist on the skinny margarita, made with just 4 ingredients and no added sugar!
Everyone loves a marg with their tacos, but classic margaritas, like the kind you order at restaurants or make at home with a margarita mix, are loaded with sugar. And I mean loaded!
Now, I’m all about balance and everything in moderation, but I’d much rather enjoy my sugar in a dessert than in a drink.
Especially when you can make a refreshing, lightened up margarita with no sugar at all! Let me introduce you to my favorite grapefruit margaritas.
Grapefruit Skinny Margaritas
My grapefruit margarita recipe uses just 4 ingredients: grapefruit, lime, tequila, and triple sec. No added sugar and no syrups! The subtle sweetness from the grapefruit, tequila, and triple sec is all you need.
I do have to tell you, I can't take full credit for this recipe. I first tried it when I was visiting my parents in Vermont a few years ago and we had some of their friends over. One of the friends said she was going to make her homemade grapefruit margaritas. My initial thought…”YES PLEASE!”
And they did not disappoint! Ever since, we've had a standing tradition that each time I go back up to my parents' house, their friends come over and we have happy hour with our healthy grapefruit margaritas, followed by a delicious dinner.
What You’ll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
- Grapefruit juice
- Lime juice
- Tequila – You don’t have to get super expensive top-of-the-line tequila since you won’t be drinking it straight, but get a brand that tastes good to you.
- Triple sec – Triple sec is an orange-flavored liqueur that complements the citrusy flavors in these grapefruit margaritas. If you have Cointreau on hand, you can swap that in.
How Can You Tell if a Grapefruit Is Sweet?
While most grapefruits are already ripe at the store, I like to get ones that feel extra juicy and smell kind of sweet on the outside. Another sign that grapefruit is ripe and sweet is if it has flattened sides or an oval shape, rather than being perfectly round.
How to Make Grapefruit Margaritas
Compared to other cocktails to require muddling and shaking, these grapefruit margaritas are a cinch to make!
Mix the ingredients. Add all of the ingredients to a large pitcher and stir.
Serve. Pour the grapefruit margaritas into margarita glasses filled with ice.
How Do You Do a Salted Rim?
A salted rim is optional, but I totally recommend it for that restaurant-style margarita experience. Pour kosher or coarse sea salt in a shallow dish. Cut a notch into the center of a lime wedge, then run this around the rim of each glass to wet it. Dip the rim into the salt and you’re done!
Tips for Success
Here are some simple tips for perfect grapefruit margaritas:
- Use freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice. The key to making these healthy margaritas is that you need to get ripe grapefruit and squeeze the juice yourself. It makes all the difference!
- Taste as you go. Adding more triple sec or tequila will make your grapefruit margaritas sweeter, or you can add more tart flavor with an extra squeeze of lime juice.
- Need to add a touch of sweetness? If it turns out that your grapefruit is all sour without the sweet, you can add a touch of agave nectar to balance the flavors if you don’t want to add more alcohol.
Don't be afraid to add a few slices of jalapeño to the mix. It adds just the right amount of heat, and really sends these drinks over the top! I love pairing spicy grapefruit margaritas with my Pan-Seared Crispy Fish Tacos.
If spicy isn’t your thing, fresh sprigs of basil or mint make a nice, non-traditional addition to these margaritas.
How to Store
You can refrigerate any extra grapefruit margaritas for 2 or 3 days. Use a slotted spoon to remove any ice from the pitcher first—you don’t want to water down your margaritas!
More Healthy Summer Drinks to Try:
Healthy Grapefruit Margaritas
- Add all the ingredients into a large pitcher and stir together.*
- Serve over ice with an optional salted rim!