How to Use a Jade Roller
How to use a jade roller. The benefits of using a jade roller in your beauty routine, how jade rollers reduce fine lines & wrinkles and how to get started!
Have you ever tried jade rolling? It's started to take off in the natural beauty world and for good reason. Jade rolling, I think, is one of the best-kept secrets in my beauty routine.
I personally love getting a behind the scenes look at people's skincare routines. Partly because I'm nosy, partly because I'm getting older and my skin is something I'm really focusing on, and partly because I love learning new things. So hopefully today's post will give you a little insight into how to use a jade roller!
What is a Jade Roller?
First things first, you might be wondering what the heck is jade roller anyway?! A jade roller is a facial massage tool that is made from Jade. Jade is a stone that has lots of healing properties, is naturally cool to the touch and great for helping reduce puffiness.
You can purchase jade rollers at many beauty stores now as well as online, but if you do purchase online, I always encourage you to make sure you're getting one from a reputable source. I like the one from the Detox Market!
Most jade rollers have two ends – a larger side and a smaller side. The larger side is used for the larger areas of your face (cheese, jaw, forehead) and the smaller side is used for smaller areas of your face (under eyes, brows, etc.).
Benefits of Jade Rolling
There are numerous benefits of jade rolling, but for me, this is why I do it:
- Reduce puffiness: sometimes you wake up with extra water and your eyes might look puffy. Jade rolling is perfect for this. Since it's cool, it helps to reduce puffiness!
- Lymphatic drainage: we'll talk about it in a minute, but the method for jade rolling is to roll towards your lymph nodes (right by your ears). That is helping to drain your lymph which can help reduce wrinkles, improve detoxification, and help with skin disorders.
- Reduce wrinkles: jade rolling is also great at reducing wrinkles and fine lines. While it might not get rid of them completely, it can really help reduce the appearance.
- Helps with jaw tension: I carry a lot of tension in my jaw and jade rolling every night has helped tremendously. Think of it as a deep tissue massage for your face! You're digging into those facial muscles, loosening them up and reducing tension.
There are countless other benefits of jade rolling, but those happen to be my top four!
How to use a Jade Roller
Now let's get into the fun stuff! First, you'll need just a few tools: a face wash, a moisturizer/facial oil and a jade roller. I'm obsessed with this facial oil and this is the jade roller I have! Once you have those assembled, it's time to get rolling!
STEP ONE: wash that beautiful face of yours! You want a clean face before you jade roll.
STEP TWO: moisturize! I like to use a facial oil because it adds even more moisture, but if those don't work for your skin, you can just use whatever moisturizer you like best.
STEP THREE: roll it out!
Here's the process that I follow to jade roll my face:
- Cheeks & jaw. Place the large end of the jade roller on your chin, apply medium pressure and roll it towards your ear. Repeat in the same spot 5 – 6 times, then move up along your cheek. Repeat on the opposite side.
- Forehead. Next, move up to your forehead. Starting in the middle of your forehead, use the large end to roll towards your ears. Repeat in the same motion 5 – 6 times then switch to the opposite side of your forehead.
- Under eyes. Using the small end, apply medium pressure and roll from the inner eye towards to outer corner. Repeat 10 – 15 times and switch to the other eye.
- Brows. Follow the same method as the under eyes, just above the eyes!
- Crows feet. Use the small end, apply medium pressure and move the small end of the roller rapidly up and down on the corner of your eye. Repeat on the other side.
- Jaw. I always finish off using the small end of the roller to dig deep into the join of my jaw. I press hard, move back and forth and then use rapid rolling on spots that feel especially tight.
And that's it!!
Have you ever tried jade rolling?
Let me know your experience in the comments below! And right below this section, you'll also find pictures and links to the three items I use and recommend. Happy rolling!