These peanut butter no-bake energy bites are packed with protein and healthy fats from chia, flax, coconut, and oats, then sweetened naturally with honey.
I love a healthy snack that I can take on the go. And these high-protein no-bake peanut butter energy bites are the perfect portable solution. They're full of nutrition from good-for-you ingredients like shredded coconut, flax seeds, and nut butter. Plus, they're easy to store in the refrigerator or freezer for a make-ahead treat.
Why Are They Called Energy Bites?
Each ingredient in these no-bake energy bites is nutrient-dense, meaning that they’re not only healthy, but they give you the biggest bang for your buck. Healthy fats, protein, and whole food carbs offer a boost to help power you through your day!
Why You’ll Love These No-Bake Energy Bites
If you're looking for a healthy snack that's gluten-free, dairy-free and easily made vegan, you're going to love these energy bites! Here are some more reasons they’re a favorite:
- Easy. This recipe has a total time of 10 minutes and requires just one bowl. Give everything a good stir until you have a uniform mixture.
- Wholesome. Unlike a lot of store-bought energy bars and protein concoctions, all of the ingredients in this recipe are healthy whole food ingredients.
- Taste like a treat. Yes, they’re healthy, but let’s talk about the flavor: that chocolate and peanut butter combo always reminds me of a peanut butter cup! These no-bake energy bites are irresistible.
Ingredients You'll Need
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this no-bake energy bite recipe. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Creamy peanut butter – I recommend natural nut butter because it contains less sugar and fewer preservatives.
- Honey – For a vegan version, substitute the honey for maple syrup or agave.
- Rolled oats – Look for certified gluten-free if necessary.
- Shredded coconut – I love the creaminess coconut adds to the energy bites. Not to mention plenty of fiber!
- Chia seeds – These are a high-fiber, high-omega seed that also helps bind the energy bites together.
- Flaxseed meal – You can use regular or golden ground flaxseed.
- Chocolate chips – I like to use semi-sweet mini chocolate chips to make these balls taste like a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie.
How To Make No-Bake Energy Bites
Here’s how easy it is to make these peanut butter energy bites:
- Combine. Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Roll. Scoop out heaping tablespoons of the dough and roll the mixture into balls using the palms of your hands.
- Chill. Refrigerate or freeze for best results.
Tips for Success
These simple tips will help you make perfect no-bake energy bites.
- Mix well. The liquid ingredients need to be mixed evenly into the dry ingredients in order to get your peanut butter energy bites to stick together. Using your hands can help!
- Use rolled oats. Rolled oats, also known as old-fashioned oats, have the perfect texture for these oatmeal bites. Quick oats are too finely chopped, while steel-cut oats would need to be cooked first.
- Pack them tightly. Use a decent amount of pressure as you roll the energy bites between your hands. This will help them hold together.
Ingredient Substitutions & Swaps
It's easy to play with this recipe to add your favorite flavors or make them allergy-friendly. For example:
- Make nut-free no-bake energy bites by substituting peanut butter for tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- Swap peanut butter for another creamy nut butter like cashew butter or almond butter.
- Add a dash of vanilla or almond extract for extra flavor.
- Add your favorite protein powder
- Fold in dried fruit like cranberries or raisins
I like to pack these bites for a car trip or any time I'm traveling. They also make a great healthy dessert that tastes like cookie dough!
How To Store
When you've shaped the no-bake energy balls, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Can No-Bake Energy Bites Be Frozen?
Freeze your peanut butter energy bites in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to three months. Let the balls defrost on the counter for a few minutes before enjoying.
More Energy Bite Recipes
Peanut Butter No-Bake Energy Bites
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl. Stir together until a sticky dough forms.
- Roll the mixture into balls.
- Store in the fridge or freezer for best results.
Storage Tips:These energy balls are best stored in the fridge or freezer so they say firm and hold together.
- Refrigerator: keep in a sealed container for up to 10 days
- Freezer: keep in a sealed container for up to 6 months