These Orange Cardamom Sugar Cookies are a fun twist on the classic recipe. Made with an almond flour base, they're healthy, flavorful, easy and delicious!
We've made it through an entire week of cookie recipes and if you're still with me, hooray!
This week was so much fun for me to put together; I loved creating these healthy cookie recipes for you and loved sharing them! And my favorite part of all? Definitely seeing your recreations on social media!
Today, for our final cookie recipe of 2017, we're making these gorgeous and super delicious Orange Cardamom Sugar Cookies! They use my Chewy Almond Flour Sugar Cookies as the base, but with a few tweaks to make them extra special and perfect for the holidays.
If you're a little adventurous in the cookie department, you're going to love these. If you're more on into traditional flavors, I think just leave out the cardamom and you'll be a happy camper.
BUT what I really love about using cardamom in these cookies is that while subtle, it totally gives these cookies a warm and cozy vibe. (<– which is oh so necessary this time of year)
Of course, since we're celebrating holiday cookies, we needed to take them a little bit over the top, so I decided to whip up a super simple orange icing to drizzle over these little cookies.
It's just three ingredients and really makes these cookies up a notch. We're talkin' next level goodness!
And yes, in case you're wondering if these cookies will hold up as a gift, they will. I'm actually currently en route to Savannah, Georgia for a long weekend with multiple cookies in tow. Since airport food can be questionable, having a stash of healthy cookies is a must.
So while everyone else is eating their sugar and refined flour filled muffins for breakfast, I'll be sitting over here munching on these nutritious orange cardamom sugar cookies!
Thank you so much for following along this week! It was really fun creating all these recipes and I definitely think we should make this an annual thing 🙂
In case you're looking for more healthy holiday cookie recipes, here are a few to try: Gluten-Free + Vegan Sugar Cookies, Gluten-Free Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies, Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies and my Healthy Peanut Butter Blossoms!
Orange Cardamom Sugar Cookies
for the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add flax egg, syrup, coconut oil, orange juice and zest to the bowl and mix together with a spatula until it forms a thick, pliable dough.
- Roll pieces of dough in your hands to form tablespoon-sized balls. Place each ball on the baking sheet and repeat until no dough remains. Gently flatten with your hands and bake on the center rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before icing.
- For the icing, whisk together the powdered sugar and almond milk until smooth. Beat in orange extract than drizzle the icing over the cookies!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.