Healthy Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
These dark chocolate peppermint cookies are a healthy, whole-grain cookie that is perfect for the holidays! All made without gluten, dairy, eggs or refined sugar!
I'm sitting here with a warm cup of hot chocolate in front of me and thinking about how special this time of year is. There is snow outside my window, Christmas music is playing softly in the background (because, duh!), and Trevi is happily snoring away on the couch. These little moments are what makes me feel so happy and grateful!
And I'm grateful to you for being part of my little corner of the internet and sharing my enthusiasm for making healthy food taste delicious!
Speaking of which…that's precisely the goal today and we're crushing it with these healthy dark chocolate peppermint cookies!
We're now on day 3 of our cookie week and I'm loving all the good cookie vibes you guys are sending my way! Seems like there needs to be more healthy cookies on the internet 😉
And if you're just now joining us, here's the deal:
Cookie week is a week-long celebration of healthy holiday cookies! Each day this week (i.e. Monday – Friday), I'll be releasing a brand new *healthy* cookie recipe that is perfect for all your holiday baking.
And today? It's all about the chocolate. These healthy dark chocolate peppermint cookies are going downnnnn!
Now some of you might be wondering, “Alyssa, what makes a cookie healthy?” What I consider to be healthy might vary from what you consider to be healthy, but I do have a few key stipulations. They've got to be:
- Gluten-Free or Whole Grain
- Less sugar than the standard recipe
- Zero refined sugar
- No dairy
These healthy dark chocolate peppermint cookies cross all those items off the list, but I do just want to say…
these are still cookies! ❤
Meaning, cookies are cookies and even when the title of a recipe says that it's healthy, I still recommend that you try not to overindulge. These cookies do still have sugar. They do still have oil and fat.
Does it mean they're any less delicious than a “traditional” cookie? Heck no! These babies are sweet, peppermint-filled and decadently dark.
And yes, they're perfect for the holidays!
Happy holiday baking friends!
How to make Healthy Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
More Holiday Cookies to Try:
- Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Orange Cardamom Sugar Cookies
- Gingerbread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Orange Cookies
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Spicy Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- Sugar Cookies with Matcha Icing
- Pizzelle Cookies
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon nut/seed butter of choice I like tahini
- 1 flax egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Crushed peppermint candies to garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flours, cocoa powder and other dry ingredients (minus the sugar) in medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- Beat together the coconut oil and sugar until fluffy. Beat in remaining wet ingredients.
- Add half of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir with a large wooden spoon until combined. Add in the rest of the dry ingredients and continue to mix until you have a thick, cookie-like dough. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the dough into your hands and shape into balls. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and gently flatten with your hands (this is optional, but make the cookies more uniform in shape). Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies if desired.
- Bake in the center of a warm oven for 12 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned and the top of the cookies is still slightly tender to the touch.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 - 10 minutes and enjoy!
- Dunk these babies in a glass of almond milk (or regular milk if you so choose) and relish in the chocolatey goodness that you just created.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!