With all the restaurants in New York, you’d think a girl would be able to find a decent summer roll.
But here’s what I’ve come to find out: they either have them and they’re deep fried – umm…hello those are Spring Rolls! – or they’re FULL of rice noodles. And sure, while the rice noodle ones satisfy in a pinch, they’re basically just rice on rice on rice.
Can’t a girl get some veggies up in here!?
So I’ve resorted to making them at home, and you know what I’ve discovered? They’re SO easy! As long as you have your veggies prepped, you can basically just work it like an assembly line, adding fillings and rolling them up.
In less than 20 minutes, your entire batch will be made. How awesome is that!?
To make my summer rolls a touch bit healthier, I’ve decided to skip the white rice noodles and add quinoa instead. Then I add all my toppings, roll them up and dunk them in a spicy Thai peanut sauce. Pretty much the best meal ever.
What I love about these quinoa summer rolls is the contrast between the flavors and textures. They’re filled with fresh, crunchy veggies, which have been sandwiched between creamy avocado and fluffy quinoa. They’re filling, nutritious and taste absolutely amazing.
Especially when they’re dunked in that sauce…oh yes!
Share this recipe!
- 10 rice paper wraps
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded romaine
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, any variety (I used black quinoa)
- 2 cups papaya noodles OR 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free tamari
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or spicy chili sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 – 3 teaspoons water
- Prepare all the veggies and arrange them on a plate for easy assembly. If using papaya, peel whole fruit then using a juilenne peeler, peel “noodles” from the outside of the papaya. Continue to peel until you get to the softer flesh, rotate fruit and repeat until you have two cups. [you can skip this part and just use carrots if you prefer!]
- Fill a shallow dish or plate with warm water. Dip a rice wrapper into the water, allowing it to soften for a few seconds. Transfer the rice paper to a flat surface, then add fillings.
- Place a layer of quinoa onto the center of the circle. Top with lettuce, peppers, papaya (or carrot) and avocado. Assemble like a burrito – fold in the sides, then roll away from you, tucking the filling in as you roll.
- Repeat until all ingredients have been used.
- For the sauce, whisk together the peanut butter, tamari, hot sauce and lime. Blend until smooth. Add water 1 teaspoon at a time until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
- Dip summer rolls into sauce and enjoy!
|Serving Size||2 – 3 summer rolls|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 567kcal Calories from fat 173|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 15g||60%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
If you make this recipe, make sure to snap a pic and share it on Instagram using #SIMPLYQUINOA – I want to see your own quinoa creations!