Vegetarian Taco Mason Jar Salad
Turn your favorite taco toppings into this amazing Taco Mason Jar Salad! It's vegetarian, gluten-free, packed with flavor and great for meal prep too.
Today we're turning my favorite taco ingredients into a delicious salad that is perfect for meal prep. It doesn't get any better!
Especially now that we're getting into the warmer season and fresh, lightened up meals are what our body craves.
Layers of Mexican-inspired ingredients, like black beans, tomatoes and avocado, with a creamy chili dressing, this salad is the perfect addition to your summer meal prep rotation!
So let's talk about this dressing first. What you'll love, aside from the flavor, is that it only uses 5 simple ingredients.
We're doing a base of olive oil and tahini, which makes it creamy and delicious. Then some chili powder, lime juice and a touch of maple syrup for sweetness.
The syrup is optional, but I personally love adding something a tiny bit sweet because it helps balance out the chili and the tang from the lime.
Once you've got your dressing, it's time to assemble. What's awesome about a mason jar salad is that they're literally SO easy to put together. You just layer up your salad ingredients, pop on the lid and you're good to go!
One thing to keep in mind with mason jar salads is the order that you add in your ingredients. You always want to start with the dressing on the bottom, then your toppings, then your lettuce on top.
There are two reasons for this order:
1. To keep it fresh. No one likes a soggy salad and by keeping the dressing on the bottom, it's staying as far away from the lettuce as possible. Again, perfect for meal prep!
2. For serving. When we start with the dressing and end with the lettuce, it's the perfect order of ingredients for when you serve your salad. All you need to do is dump your lettuce into your bowl and the toppings will follow, ending with the dressing. Easy peasy!
So what's in this salad you might wonder? Let's check out these layers!
Chili dressing. With tahini, olive oil and lime juice.
Cherry tomatoes. For some added sweetness and juicy texture
Black beans. Adding plant-based protein, fiber and tons of nutrients.
Frozen corn. Which I chose fire roasted, but it can be any variety.
Avocado. For healthy fats, added fiber and even more of a creamy texture.
Romaine. Added crunchiness, light and fiber-rich! (you could swap for any other green!)
And that's it friends. You're going to absolutely LOVE this salad!
More Healthy Mason Jar Salad Recipes
VIDEO: How to Make Vegetarian Taco Mason Jar Salad
Vegetarian Taco Mason Jar Salad
for the dressing
for the salad
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup frozen corn or fresh
- 1/2 an avocado diced
- 4 cups chopped romaine or greens of choice
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients until smooth and creamy. Add water to thin the consistency if needed.
- Evenly divide the dressing between two quart-sized mason jars.
- Evenly divide the tomatoes, black beans, corn, avocado and romaine between the two mason jars, layering in that order. Screw on the lid and store in the fridge!
- When ready to serve, simply pour the entire contents of the jar into your bowl and enjoy!
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.