Seriously is there anything better than a bite of super creamy, cheesy goodness? It’s pretty much heaven on earth if you ask me.
Still to this day, even though I know how awful it is for me, I sometimes crave Kraft macaroni and cheese. It’s so weird, because that was never anything that I even ate growing up (we were an Annie’s family all the way). There’s just something about that box of
junk delicious pasta that makes my mouth water (eww…I’m grossed out just writing that).
But for those of us who like to eat healthy not shove our faces with that orange-tinged pasta gook, you need to search for alternatives.
Which is exactly what we’re doing today. And we’re making it as easy as humanly possible.
The base of this quinoa mac and cheese is not the heavy cream or milk that you’re used to. In fact, we’ve used butternut squash to create the ultra creamy sauce. Instead of noodles, we opted for quinoa (which is packed with protein and nutrients of course). We’ve got a little cheese thrown into the mix, but for those of you vegans I’m sure Daiya or an alternatve.
So basically, what I’m saying here, is that is a 100% guilt free mac n’ cheese recipe that your entire family with gobble up – even the kiddos. It’s seriously addicting.
And since everyone loves mac n’ cheese…actually I don’t know if I’ve ever met a person that doesn’t like mac n’ cheese…I have a few more exciting things to tell you about that come along with this recipe.
Here’s what we’ve got: Door to Door Organics Gift Cards, OXO Gift Baskets, Zak Designs Prize Pack, a year’s supply of Cabot cheese, a Vermont Creamery gift basket, a risotto kit from Marx Foods, Barilla pasta, Anolon Advanced Bronze 4.5 Qt. Tapered Stockpot, Rachael Ray Stoneware Casseroval, Wusthof CLASSIC Studio Block Set, Microplane Graters and Kitchen Tools, a SavorX Starter Block with spices and Le Cordon Bleu by Swissmar oven to table roasters.
Yes, yes, and yes!!
All you have to do to be entered to win is head on over to one of these lovely lady’s blog and link up your own mac and cheese recipe. And no, you don’t have to be a blogger, anyone can enter!!
Good luck to all who choose to enter!
And pretty please tell me what you think of this quinoa mac and cheese recipe! I swear, it’s like my favorite meal on the planet right now…
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 - 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup goat cheddar (or shredded cheese of choice)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel and seed butternut squash. Chop into 1" chunks, add to a stock pot, cover with 1" of water and boil until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a blender.
- Add almond milk and dijon mustard into blender and blend on high until silky smoothy and creamy. Add more milk as needed - texture should be thick, but easily pourable.
- Transfer to a bowl and add quinoa and cheese. Stir until combined.
- Spoon mac n' cheese into ramekins (or baking dish), smooth tops and bake for 20 - 30 minutes, until bubbly.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly and enjoy immediately.
Additional spice options:
- Chili powder
- Hot sauce
- Salt & pepper
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.