PESTO! and quinoa! for breakfast!
That’s right you guys. We’re shakin’ things up around here today and we’re enjoying a savory breakfast! So not typical for me, but for some reason, the salty cravings seem to have gotten the better of me.
A while back, I sent out a survey and asked you all what you enjoyed having for breakfast AND if you opted for sweet or savory. To my surprise, the majority of you said savory. I could have sworn most of you had a mega sweet tooth like me, but I’m kind of glad you don’t. It means I get to make new recipes that I wouldn’t normally cook for myself.
As evidence by my breakfast archives, sweet breakfasts are the norm, but I have to admit, I was totally of digging the salty spin on these quinoa breakfast bowls.
It started with homemade pesto.
I’ve made pesto for you before here, but this time I wanted to pack in a bit more nutrition and decided to add some kale. I’ve found that the trick to making pestos with greens is them is that you need to have the right ratio of greens to basil. Too many greens and your pesto ends up tasting more like a salty salad.
I used about 2 cups of basil to 1 cup of kale and it was just right.
I kept the pesto vegan by using nutritional yeast instead of cheese, but kept everything else very traditional: garlic, pine nuts, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Just a few quick pulses in the food processor and the highlight of this meal was done!
From there, it was time to think about toppings.
Eggs made sense because they’re protein packed, very accessible for everyone and easy to make. (for those of you who don’t eat eggs, I think tofu would also be lovely here) Plus, pesto and eggs together sounds pretty dang awesome.
Avocado because…well it’s avocado and it should be on EVERYTHING. 🙌🏻
And to finish everything off, a sprinkle of hemp hearts, chia seeds and toasted pine nuts. Giving us a little more fat, more healthy protein AND omega 3s.
This breakfast bowl is packed full of nutritional goodies my friends 👇🏻👇🏻
And the best part? It takes maybe 10 minutes to make the entire thing. Start to finish.
Talk about a breakfast win!
Oh and I totally recommend that you mix it all together before you eat it. It’s so good guys! Hope you love it as much as I do❤️💃🏻
And if you want even more healthy (and fast) breakfast recipes, make sure to hop on my email list because
I’m releasing a brand new eCookbook next Tuesday (9/15) I’ve just released a brand new eCookbook which features 90+ healthy quinoa breakfast recipes!
And yes, there’s totally a mix of sweet and savory!
Click the button below to choose the package that’s right for you!
I can’t wait for you to see it!
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ½ an avocado
- ¼ cup homemade pesto
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh kale leaves
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3 - 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Start by adding the eggs to a small saucepan with 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring the water to a boil, cover the pot and reduce to simmer for 5 - 6 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, add all the pesto ingredients to a food processor. Process until almost smooth (no large chunks wanted here!).
- When eggs are done cooking, rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking process. Let stand in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes.
- Prepare your breakfast bowls: add 1 cup quinoa, half of the avocado thinly sliced and half the pesto.
- When eggs have cooled, peel them and slice in half. Add to the bowl and sprinkle with half the hemp and chia seeds.
- Enjoy as is, season with a touch more salt and pepper, or mix it all together (that's what I did and yum!).
OTHER QUINOA BREAKFAST BOWLS:
Maple Pecan Quinoa Breakfast Bowl (Simply Quinoa)
90-Second Blueberry Breakfast Quinoa (Simply Quinoa)
Decadent Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast (The Awesome Green)
Coconut Quinoa Breakfast Bowl (Heather Christo)
p.s. Don’t forget to >> grab your copy of Quinoa for Breakfast << and start making your breakfast a priority!