These Gluten-Free and Vegan Brownies are as fudgy, dense, and the right amount of decadent. Loaded with chocolate chips and walnuts, they have the perfect texture.
There's almost nothing more comforting than a perfect brownie.
One that's dense and gooey, chocolatey (but not too much), and with a crackly top. Is your mouth watering just picturing that? Mine is.
But classic brownies, while delicious, aren't so allergy-friendly. They're made with ingredients like butter, flour, and eggs.
So if you've been someone who is on the hunt for the perfect (and I mean PERRRFECT) gluten-free vegan brownie, this recipe is for you. These treats are super easy to make with one mixing bowl and a few simple ingredients.
And I promise, no one will guess they're gluten-free and vegan!
Ingredients for Vegan Brownies
Here's what you need for these fudgy gluten-free brownies:
- Flaxseed. You'll use this as an egg replacement by making a vegan flax egg.
- Vegan butter. I like Earth Balance buttery sticks for baking.
- Coconut sugar. You could also use granulated sugar if you prefer.
- Almond milk. Any plant-based milk will work!
- Vanilla extract. Use pure vanilla, not imitation, for the best flavor.
- Flour. I use gluten-free all-purpose flour from Bob's Red Mill.
- Baking powder to help your brownies rise a bit in the oven.
- Chocolate chips. Make sure they're vegan!
- Walnut. These are optional, but I love the nutty crunch.
How to Make Gluten-Free Brownies
This is an easy one-bowl baking recipe. All you'll need is:
Make the flax egg. To start, make the flax egg. Combine the flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl and let it gel for about 5 minutes.
Melt the butter. Either melt the vegan butter in a large mixing bowl in the microwave or over a pot of simmering water on the stove.
Stir in the sugar. When the butter is melted, add the coconut sugar and stir until the sugar is fully dissolved.
Fold in the wet ingredients. Next add the milk, flax egg, and vanilla. Stir until uniform. Now you're ready to add the dry ingredients.
Mix in the dry ingredients. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir until the vegan brownie batter is combined.
Add your mix-ins. Then add the chocolate chips and walnuts and gently fold them in. Pour the batter into your parchment-lined baking pan.
Bake them up! Bake the brownies until they're set in the center, about 25 to 30 minutes. The top will be golden brown, but the inside will still be a bit gooey.
If you don't have every ingredient on the list, here are a few simple swaps so you can still whip up the best vegan brownies:
- Use regular granulated sugar instead of coconut sugar
- Any plant-based milk will work. I prefer unsweetened, but you could use sweetened and reduce the amount of sugar a bit.
- Cacao will work in place of cocoa powder
- You can use a different mix-in, such as butterscotch chips, hazelnuts, or coconut
Storing Leftover Brownies
To store leftovers, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
For longer storage, keep them in the freezer for up to six months. When you're ready to serve, let the brownies come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
More Vegan Baking Recipes
- Soft & Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten-Free + Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
- No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Bites (Vegan)
If you make these Gluten-Free and Vegan Brownies, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies
- 1½ tablespoons ground flaxseed
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 1½ cups coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper, leaving several inches hanging over the sides for easy removal.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flaxseed and 3 tablespoons water. Let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Melt the vegan butter in a microwave safe bowl. Beat in the coconut sugar until smooth and the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Remove the bowl from the heat. Whisk in the milk, flax egg and vanilla.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips (and nuts if using).
- Tranfer the batter into the preapared baking dish and spread into an even layer with a spatula. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out mostly clean. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan, then use the parchment paper to lift the brownies out of the pan to a cooling rack. Cool fully before slicing into squares.