This creamy and spicy Vegan Sweet Potato Soup with coconut milk, fennel and carrots is a sweet and savory silky-smooth soup perfect for chilly nights.
But I was feeling something a little different this time around and wanted to go with something that was spicy, silky smooth, and used sweet potato.
And I landed on this:
A vegan sweet potato soup that's full of so much flavor! From fresh ginger, garlic, coconut, and a blend of mixed vegetables.
It makes a warming winter dinner or lunch that's also easy to meal prep!
How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
Just like most soups, we're going to start by sauteeing all our ingredients together. Then we let things simmer for a while to develop flavor, and then we blend. It's pretty darn simple!
Tools you'll need:
If you don't have a regular blender, an immersion blender will also work. I don't recommend using a food processor, because too much liquid is likely to spill and you can never get quite the right texture that way.
Here's what you need to make this healthy dairy-free soup:
- Olive oil. to saute the veggies. You could also use coconut oil if you prefer.
- Onion. Use a white or yellow onion. Red onion will turn the soup an odd color.
- Fennel. This adds a bitter, earthy undertone to the soup that I love.
- Sweet potato. Peel the potatoes first for the smoothest texture.
- Carrots. these add extra sweetness. You can also peel them to remove any potential dirt.
- Garlic. I strongly recommend using fresh garlic for this recipe.
- Ginger. You'll need about two inches of fresh ginger.
- Vegetable broth. Use low-sodium store-bought broth or make your own.
- Coconut milk. I like light coconut milk, but full-fat will give you an even creamier texture.
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
1. Saute the veggies in olive oil until the onions start to soften. Add in the ginger, garlic, and some salt and pepper.
2. Add in the broth and coconut milk. Then bring the mixture to a boil and let it simmer for at least 2o minutes until the vegetables have softened.
3. Transfer the mixture to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth.
4. Pour the soup into bowls, top with your favorite soup toppings and dig in!
Serving Sweet Potato Soup
This sweet potato soup is sweet, savory and spicy. It's delicious all on its own, but you can also add your favorite toppings to add crunch, color and extra flavor. Here's what I love on top of a bowl of sweet potato ginger soup:
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- A swirl of coconut cream or dairy-free yogurt
- Fresh parsley or cilantro
- Chives or sliced scallions
- Croutons (or chickpea croutons for added protein
Store any leftover sweet potato soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. You can reheat it over medium-low heat on the stove to serve. You can also freeze soup for up to three months. Thaw the soup in the fridge overnight, then reheat on the stove.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
If you make this Vegan Ginger Sweet Potato Soup, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Vegan Ginger Sweet Potato Soup
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven or saucepan. Add the onion, fennel, potato, and carrots. Saute for 3 - 5 minutes until the veggies start to soften. Add the garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper, and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the broth and coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Once the soup is cooked, add it to a blender and blend until creamy. You could also use an immersion blender. Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of yogurt, some chives (or green onions) and enjoy!