Make an ultra-creamy and healthy Vegan Tomato Soup with hummus, canned tomatoes, sauteed vegetables and garlic. Add your favorite toppings to a grilled cheese on the side!
When we get out of quarantine I hope that we look back on this time and realize how creative it has forced us to be in the kitchen. How it's helped us look at simple ingredients that we always have on hand and make something delicious.
Since we're trying to limit our runs to the store, I've definitely been experimenting a lot more with pantry items. And while some things have been a complete flop, I've had a few winners as well. This vegan tomato soup is one of them!
This soup is delicious. Absolutely scrumptious. It's creamy, it's flavorful, and yet it's SO easy to make. It only has 9 ingredients and comes together in under 30 minutes. And it's absolutely the perfect companion to vegan grilled cheese.
Ingredients for Vegan Tomato Soup
One of the great things about this recipe is the ingredient list. It's a short and sweet list of pantry staples. I'd even bet you have most, if not all, of these ingredients at home right now!
Here's what we'll be using to make this soup:
- Olive oil: For sauteing and getting some flavor and color to the start of the soup.
- Onion and garlic: To build flavor.
- Carrot: These add a nice layer of sweetness and help cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Diced tomatoes: I use two 28-ounce cans of traditional diced tomatoes, but feel free to use fire-roasted, garlic, tomato basil, etc.
- Veggie broth: You could also use chicken broth if you prefer. Store-bought or homemade broth both work.
- Hummus: This is the secret ingredient that adds such a great flavor and creaminess!
- Seasonings: I love Italian seasoning blend with anything tomato-related.
And then we just have a few simple seasonings to finish everything off.
How to Make Tomato Soup
This vegan tomato soup is also a cinch to make. It takes less than 25 minutes to make. But if you want to build even more flavor, you can simmer it for longer.
First, you'll saute the onion, garlic, and carrot in the oil. Sauteing these veggies ahead of time helps draw out the flavor, adds a tiny char flavor, and really helps round out the dish.
Add your tomatoes and broth and let it simmer. This is where you have some flexibility. I'd say at a minimum, I recommend cooking it for 15 minutes. But again, feel free to go longer if you want to build even more flavor.
Blend it up! I used the large jar of my Vitamix a3500 and just tossed the hummus in right before blending. It becomes so smooth and creamy in an instant.
Can I Use a Slow Cooker or Instant Pot?
I've only made this soup on the store, but here's how I would modify it for an Instant Pot or slow cooker:
- Slow Cooker: Add all the ingredients in (minus the hummus) and cook for at least 4 – 6 hours on low. Once you're ready to blend, add in the hummus and blend it up!
- Instant Pot: Likewise, add everything but the hummus to the pot. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes and then let it release pressure for about 10 minutes. Then add the hummus and blend.
How to Make Creamy Soup without a Blender
No Blender? No Problem!
You can definitely still get a creamy texture with an immersion blender. I would recommend stirring the hummus into the pot right before you're ready to blend. Then just use your immersion blender to whiz it up until it's smooth.
If you don't have either of those options, you could try a food processor, but I don't love the consistency, nor do I like adding hot liquids into my food processor (I don't feel like it's meant for that).
And if you don't have any of those options, feel free to just enjoy your soup chunky 🙂
The Ultimate Dairy-Free Tomato Soup
Think tomato soup needs to have cream? Think again!
The flavors are complex, the texture is perfectly smooth, and that addition of hummus gives it a kind of cream-based feel without having any cream.
Our favorite way to serve this soup:
- Topped with homemade croutons with a side salad – you could also try Crispy Chickpea Croutons for added protein.
- Topped with freshly chopped basil and vegan grilled cheese.
But truthfully, there's no wrong way to enjoy tomato soup. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do and I can't wait to see your recreations!
More Creamy Vegan Soup Recipes to try:
- Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Creamy Coconut & Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Italian Quinoa Soup
- Curried Cauliflower & Squash Soup
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Chowder
If you make this tomato soup recipe, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onion, garlic, and carrot. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the onions start to soften about 3 minutes. Stir in the Italian seasoning if desired.
- Add the tomatoes and broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, transfer the soup to a blender and add the hummus.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy. If the soup is too thick, blend in a bit more broth.
- Serve hot and top with desired toppings!