Nourishing Quinoa + White Bean Stew
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
This dreamy quinoa + white bean stew is nourishing, comforting and completely vegetarian. It's also easy to make and only takes 5 minutes of hands-on time.
This is it. My farewell to winter dish.
It’s a rich and hearty stew that might just be the one of the easiest recipes ever. It only takes a few minutes to prepare – you simply throw everything in the pot and let it bubble away on the stove while you snuggle up on the couch with a warm cup of tea. Just let the aromas of tomatoes waft through your house until you’re ready to eat. Then fill your bowl with stew, top it with some quinoa and cozy up to the perfect winter meal.
Sounds pretty amazing if you ask me.
Even though we’re still ten days away from Spring, and I have fully appreciated the nighttime snuggles on the couch, lazy Saturdays spent indoors watching our favorite movies and warm winter stews like this one, I'm seriously ready for Spring.
So this year, I'm calling it quits a little early.
Winter is over and I'm declaring tomorrow to the first day of Spring in my book. This means I'll be moving on to food that's lighter, brighter and packed full of raw veggies… but not before I share one final cold-weather meal.
This >> Nourishing Quinoa + White Bean Stew. Yessss.
I found this recipe for a tomato-based white bean stew, and I've tweaked it slightly to give it a bit more flavor and depth. My secret weapon is diced mushrooms which help the stew feel a bit meatier in texture, while still keeping it healthy and plant-based.
And in addition to the canned tomatoes, there's also a handful of chopped sun-dried tomatoes which add such a great flavor and just a bit more intensity to the dish. Their flavor is quite concentrated, so every few bites you'll get a burst of tomato and it helps to bring the whole stew to life.
Of course, I served ours with quinoa, but you could also substitute brown rice or even serve this over pasta (or zucchini noodles). It's hearty, but since it's vegetarian, I find that it still feels light and could easily be enjoyed on its own as well.
I can honestly say that I don't think we could be saying goodbye to winter with a better dish. Now let's enjoy one last cozy winter night and then cheers to Spring!
More Amazing & Healthy Stew Recipes to try:
- Tuscan Kale & White Bean Stew
- Root Vegetable + Lentil Quinoa Stew
- Slow Cooker Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- Detox Turmeric Lentil Soup
- Kitchari: Gut Healing & Anti-Inflammatory
Nourishing Quinoa + White Bean Stew
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb mushrooms diced
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes diced
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15oz can white beans
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste I buy the kind in the tube so they keep better
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb blend
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Quinoa to serve
- Heat oil in a dutch oven medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms begin to soften and release their liquids, about 2 minutes.
- Add sun dried tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, white beans, tomato paste and herbs and stir together.
- Stir in salt and pepper then bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cook partially covered for 1 hour.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve warm into bowls and top with a scoop of quinoa (or serve quinoa under the stew if you so choose).
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!