This Detox Turmeric Lentil Soup is a simple, healthy and hearty meal that's great for digestion and the liver. Easy to make, packed with protein and delicious!
The past few days have been the coldest we've had all winter which has meant lots of soup, lots of hot chocolate, lots of snuggles and hours of The Office.
While I'd certainly rather it be warm and sunny, I kind of like these frigid days because it gives me an excuse to test out new recipes. This weekend I made a batch of life-changing Peanut Butter granola, some of the fluffiest pancakes I've ever tasted, some insanely delicious grain-free pizza and this…
Detox Turmeric Lentil Soup!
I do feel like the term “detox” has a bad connotation in the health world, but we're calling this a detox-friendly soup because it's packed with ingredients that support your body's natural detoxification system.
You see, our bodies are pretty darn amazing (if you didn't already know). We have systems inside of us that naturally flush out unwanted junk that we're consuming. Our body knows what it's doing, but that doesn't mean we can't help it do its job even better, right?
So that's what we're doing with this Detox Turmeric Lentil Soup. We're supporting our body with wholesome, nutrient-dense food that will make us feel amazing!
Let's take a peek at what we have inside this glorious golden soup:
1. Lentils: not only are they super high in protein (11g per serving), but they're also high in fiber which is important for our digestive system. Our digestive system is responsible for absorbing the good nutrients in our food and getting rid of the unwanted waste, so when we eat food (like lentils), we're helping our digestive system doing its job more effectively. PS: check out this post for 10 reasons why lentils are amazing!
2. Turmeric: the active component in turmeric that is so great for detox (and gives it that amazing golden color) is curcumin. Curcumin has been shown to not only help reduce inflammation, but also support, and even enhance, the production of bile in the gallbladder. Bile not only helps the liver flush out toxins, but it also rejuvenates liver cells!
3. Sweet Potato: one of the things we love about sweet potatoes, aside from their flavor, is how high they are in fiber! Again that supports our digestive system, but fiber is also key for the liver. One more reason to love sweet potatoes? They're also high in antioxidants which helps to liver do its thang!
4. Garlic: these little cloves of goodness aren't just there to flavor our food! Garlic has also been shown to have healing properties including supporting a healthy immune system. But in terms of detox, garlic is super high in Vitamin C and antioxidants, both of which help support the liver and kidneys as they are working to flush toxins from our bodies!
And these are just a few of the amazing ingredients in this turmeric lentil soup!
I can't wait for you to try this soup! Not only is it cozy and hearty, but it's also super high in protein and fiber, and has a gorgeous yellow color. It's a show stopper if you ask me!
It's also perfect for a crowd (football season anyone!?), but can definitely be used for a healthy meal prep option for lunch or dinner. This soup freezes well, lasts in the fridge for at least 4 – 5 days and tastes amazing with a dollop of coconut yogurt on top!
Not to mention it's…gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan!
So whether you're craving something warm and hearty, or you feel like you want to give your system a little break, this golden turmeric lentil soup checks all those boxes and more!
It's quickly becoming one of our favorites and after your first batch, I'm sure you'll feel the same way 😉
How to make the Detox Turmeric Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped turnip (or potato)
- 2 1/2 cups chopped sweet potato
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup green (or brown) lentils
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 - 2 tablespoons turmeric (I like 2)
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup fresh herbs (I like parsley)
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven. Add onions, celery, turnip, potato and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes until everything softens slightly. Season with salt, pepper and thyme and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, turmeric, ginger and cumin and saute 1 - 2 minutes, then add the broth and water. Bring the soup to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond milk, spinach and herbs until spinach has wilted. Serve immediately!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 338kcal Calories from fat 35|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 4g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||44%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.