Quick & Healthy Tomato Bisque
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
A recipe for healthy tomato bisque that's rich and creamy. Perfect for cold winter nights, and quick to whip, this vegan soup is healthy and delicious.
I first shared this recipe for my quick and healthy tomato bisque almost 4 years ago. I decided to revisit for a few reasons: first, I was seriously craving a tomato soup this week, second, the photos needed some updating and third, a few weeks ago I spent a night in Indiana hanging out with Tuttorosso Tomatoes and a group of some amazing bloggers!
I've been working with Tuttorosso for a while now and it's a brand that I really believe has the best tomato products on the market. While we were there, we compared them against a bunch of the other main brands and the difference was noticeable – their tomatoes had the best color and the best taste.
The trip was SO MUCH fun too. We had some amazing meals, tons of great conversation, late-night giggles with some of my favorite blogging friends, and even a food photography workshop with the amazing Amanda Paa from Heartbeet Kitchen.
But what was really blew my mind was that the tomatoes go from farm to can in less than an hour! We saw tomatoes picked in the morning getting delivered to the factory and by the end of our tour, they were already in the can. Pretty incredible! Here are some pictures from the trip in case you didn't see them:
And now for the soup!
A simple and creamy bisque made without any dairy! It's just one pot, whole food ingredients, and the perfect, silky smooth texture.
The trick to making this soup super thick is by cooking the tomatoes and broth with quinoa. We start by sautéing the onions and garlic, adding the tomatoes and then stirring in some quinoa and vegetable broth. Then once the quinoa gets nice and fluffy, you blend everything up until smooth.
See how simple? Takes less than 30 minutes to make! You know I'm all about making dinner as easy to get on the table as possible 😉
More Recipes with Tuttorosso Tomatoes to try:
- Quinoa + Lentil Bolognese with Spaghetti Squash
- One-Pot Italian Quinoa with Tomatoes & Basil
- Spring Vegetable Quinoa Minestrone
- Creamy Italian Quinoa Soup
- Quinoa Stuffed Eggplant with Tahini Sauce
- 30-Minute Vegetarian Spaghetti Squash Boats
Quick & Healthy Tomato Bisque
A simple and creamy bisque made without any dairy! It's just one pot, whole food ingredients and the perfect, silky smooth texture.
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 28 oz can Tuttorosso Diced Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper more to taste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 4 - 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 - 1 cup almond milk
- Chili flakes to taste
- Nutritional yeast to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, pepper and spices, and saute until fragrant and the onions have softened, 3 - 5 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot, then add the broth, starting with 4 cups. Pour the quinoa into the soup, bring the mixture to a boil, cover and turn down to a low boil for 10 - 15 minutes until the quinoa is cooked.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let cool slightly before transferring to a food processor or high powered blender. Blend on high until the soup is smooth. Add more water if you want your soup a little more creamy. Return the soup to the pot, stir in the almond milk and season with chili flakes. Taste and adjust seasonings appropriately.
- Serve and garnish with nutritional yeast.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Want more quinoa dinner recipes?
Follow my board on Pinterest!
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!