How to Make Crispy Chickpeas: 4 Ways
Author - Alyssa Rimmer
Learn how to make crispy chickpeas in 4 delicious flavors! Use this crispy chickpeas as a healthy snack or a crunchy topping to your favorite salad. They're easy, healthy and so tasty!
Today we've got another tutorial post and this time we're talking about one of my favorite things: CHICKPEAS! Specifically, I'm going to show you how to make crispy chickpeas at home – with a basic option + 4 variations.
These make the ultimate snack, but can also be used on top of salads, smoothies, pastas and more. They're versatile and surprisingly easy to make!
Ingredients for Crispy Chickpeas
Making crispy chickpeas at home is super simple. For a basic recipe, you need just two simple ingredients and from there you can have fun with flavors!
- Chickpeas: you can either use canned or homemade, whatever is easier. They do need to be cooked through!
- Coconut oil: I personally love the flavor of coconut oil, but any oil will work here. I think you could also skip the oil, but they might not get quite as crispy.
And that's it!
How to Make Crispy Chickpeas
There are a few methods for making crispy chickpeas, but I personally like to bake them. I think you could also deep fry, air fry or cook in a skillet, but I've had the best luck with baking. AND it's super easy 😉
Basic Crispy Chickpeas
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas then transfer them to a bowl. Use a paper towel (or two) and pat the chickpeas as dry as possible. If some of the skins fall off, remove those from the bowl.
- Add the coconut oil, salt, and pepper to the bowl and well and toss to combine. Transfer the chickpeas to a baking sheet.
- Roast the chickpeas for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to evenly cook. If adding flavors, remove after 30 minutes, add spices and cook remaining 15 minutes.
- Cool completely before storing and enjoy!
4 Ways to Make Crispy Chickpeas
As promised, I'm showing you how to make crispy chickpeas 4 different ways. Below you'll find my flavoring options, so just follow the instructions above, but toss the chickpeas with the flavorings after they've cooked for 30 minutes.
Here are the flavors we're making:
- Cheesy Chickpeas
- Chili Lime Chickpeas
- Rosemary & Garlic Chickpeas
- Cinnamon Sugar Chickpeas
Flavor #1: Cheesy
First up are my cheesy chickpeas. These give that kind of cheesy boost without actually adding cheese. They're vegan and so great on top of a salad!
How to make Cheesy Crispy Chickpeas:
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Follow the instructions above up until step 4. Once you've reached step 4 and have cooked your chickpeas for 30 minutes, remove them from the oven and stir in the nutritional yeast. Bake again for 15 more minutes.
Flavor #2: Chili Lime
Next, we have my chili lime chickpeas. These have a rich flavor with a nice little citrus kick at the end. I love these as a snack, but they're also great with Mexican-inspired dishes.
How to make Chili Lime Chickpeas:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Zest of 1 lime
Follow the instructions above up until step 4. Once you've reached step 4 and have cooked your chickpeas for 30 minutes, remove them from the oven and stir in the chili powder. Bake again for 15 more minutes. Once cooked, remove from the oven and add the lime zest.
Flavor #3: Rosemary & Garlic
Third, we have my rosemary & garlic crispy chickpeas. This option is really awesome on salads as well as grain bowls. It's got a good balance of herb flavor and also the garlic!
How to make Rosemary & Garlic Chickpeas:
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
Follow the instructions above up until step 4. Once you've reached step 4 and have cooked your chickpeas for 30 minutes, remove them from the oven and stir in the garlic and rosemary. Bake again for 15 more minutes.
Flavor #4: Cinnamon Sugar
And lastly, something sweet! These cinnamon sugar chickpeas are a healthy sweet treat, but can also be used on other things like cereal, yogurt or smoothie bowls!
How to make Cinnamon Sugar Chickpeas:
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
Follow the instructions above up until step 4. Once you've reached step 4 and have cooked your chickpeas for 30 minutes, remove them from the oven and stir in the cinnamon and coconut sugar. Bake again for 15 more minutes.
How to Use Crispy Chickpeas
Want some recipe ideas for using your crispy chickpeas? Here are some of my favorites!
- Quinoa Pizza Bites with Hummus & Crispy Chickpeas
- Vegan Chopped Salad with Spiced Chickpeas
- Spiralized Rainbow Quinoa Power Salad
- Kale Caesar Salad with Crispy Chickpea Croutons
- Mediterranean Quinoa Hummus Bowls
share what you make
tag @simplyquinoa on Instagram with your creations!
we love sharing what you make with the community!