This Air Fryer Grilled Cheese has the crispiest golden exterior with a gooey, melty interior. It couldn't be easier to make either. Vegan option included!
There's no sandwich that's more of a classic than grilled cheese.
And since air fryers are so popular these days (for good reason!), I wanted to see if I could make a perfectly crispy and melty grilled cheese without a griddle or even a stove. This version is also made with plant-based cheese that melts just perfectly in the air fryer.
What You’ll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
A great grilled cheese sandwich should be simple, and this recipe is about as simple as it gets when it comes to ingredients. All you need is:
- Sourdough bread. Of course, you can use any sandwich bread you like. Gluten-free will also work great.
- Butter. Use vegan or regular butter to get the nice golden color on your toast.
- Cheese. You can use vegan cheese just as easily as your favorite sliced dairy cheese. Cheddar is a great option.
- Optional fillings. I like to add a smear of a sauce or condiment that's sweet or spicy to amp up my grilled cheese.
How to Make Grilled Cheese in an Air Fryer
Ready for the easiest way to make grilled cheese? Here's what you'll do:
Preheat the air fryer. If your air fryer needs to preheat, set it up to do that to 350°F.
Make your sandwich. Spread your bread with a condiment if you're using it. Then pile on the cheese and stack everything together into a sandwich.
Cook the grilled cheese. Place the sandwich into your air fryer and cook for 14 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Filling Ideas for Grilled Cheese
This sandwich recipe is pretty much a blank canvas for your favorite fillings and toppings. Here are some that I love:
- Fig jam
- Hot sauce
- Tempeh Bacon (or regular)
- Sliced tomato
Why Make a Grilled Cheese in an Air Fryer?
The great part about making this sandwich in an air fryer is that you don't have to babysit it on the stove or a griddle. Just set the timer and feel free to walk away.
Can I Make This Grilled Cheese Vegan?
Yes! To make air fryer grilled cheese dairy-free, simply use vegan sliced cheese and vegan butter. Because these are fried at a pretty low temperature for a longer period of time, the vegan cheese has time to melt nicely just like regular cheese.
Can I Make Two Sandwiches at Once in the Air Fryer?
Yes! As long as there's enough room in your air fryer, you can make two grilled cheese sandwiches at the same time. No need to change the cooking time or temperature.
More Sandwich Recipes
- Pesto Chickpea Melt Sandwiches
- Brussels Sprout & Hummus Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Healthy Gluten-Free Breakfast Sandwich
If you make this Air Fryer Grilled Cheese, be sure to let me know what you think with a comment below!
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- Butter , vegan optional
- 2 slices cheese (cheddar), vegan optional
- Optional: hot sauce , fig jam, hot pepper jam
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Place bread butter side down on a cutting board. Top one slice with cheese and the other slice with other toppings you like. Close to make a sandwich.
- Place in air fryer for 7 minutes, then flip and cook another 6-7 minutes, until golden.