These Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Noodles are ready in just 15 minutes and use only 10 ingredients. Perfect vegan comfort food, healthy and absolutely delicious!
I've made it my mission this fall to share some unconventional ways of using pumpkin. I'm personally a pumpkin freak and look forward to this season all year long, and because of that, most of the classics are done!
So today we're going to make these super easy vegan pumpkin alfredo noodles to celebrate pumpkin season but also help keep you cozy all winter long!
How to make Vegan Alfredo Sauce
Classic alfredo is made with lots of butter, lots of cream and lots of cheese. Delicious? Absolutely! Healthy? Not so much.
Since I know many of my readers come here for gluten-free and dairy-free recipes, I want to teach you how to create a healthy vegan alfredo sauce that doesn't use any crazy ingredients.
- Step 1: sauteing some olive oil with a little garlic, salt and pepper
- Step 2: slowly stream in your vegan cream (more on that in a sec)
- Step 3: whisk in some nutritional yeast
- Step 4: taste, adjust and devour
Easy Vegan Cream Sauce
The trick to a good cream sauce is to have a good cream. And the best way to have a good cream is to make it yourself!
I've tried making creamy sauces with a store-bought milk, but they're too thin and even the unsweetened variety tastes a little sweet. My trick? Raw cashews blended up with some water!
It's easy, affordable, healthy and tastes amazing. You can control the thickness too – add less water for a thicker, richer cream, more liquid for a more traditional “milk” consistency.
To me, the best part of cashew cream is that it's pretty flavorless so it really helps other ingredients shine. Just like when you turn it into a pumpkin alfredo sauce ????
Creamy Pumpkin Alfredo Noodles
Pumpkin and pasta might sound a little strange, but trust me, you're going to totally dig it. The pumpkin helps give the sauce an extra creaminess (sans cheese), but also adds a subtle sweetness that makes it super comforting.
I love that it only takes 15 minutes to make, that you can freeze the leftovers, and that it keeps well!
And while I haven't tested it yet, I do think this would make an awesome mac and cheese sauce if you added in some shredded vegan cheese and used shells instead of linguine.
Maybe I'm biased, maybe it's because I simply adore pumpkin, or maybe it's because pasta is one of my fave foods of all time, but…
I'd have to say this is probably one of my favorite pasta dishes to date!
More Savory Pumpkin Recipes To Try!
- Creamy Chili Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Quinoa Chili
- Pumpkin & Chicken Baked Pasta
- One Bowl Vegan Pumpkin Cornbread
Vegan Pumpkin Alfredo Noodles
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the cashews and hot water to a high powered blender and blend on high until creamy, about 1 minute. Set aside.*
- In a large non-stick skillet, add the olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmery, add the garlic and saute until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the salt, pepper and sage (if using) and cook another minute or two.
- Add the pumpkin puree and half the cashew milk into the pan. Stir until smooth. Add the remaining cashew milk and nutritional yeast, and whisk until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Drain the pasta then add it to the pan and toss with the sauce. Serve immediately and garnish with fresh herbs, fresh cracked pepper and some red pepper flakes if you like heat!