These simple pulled pork lettuce wraps are actually made with a vegan “pulled pork” alternative then topped with a healthy and delicious mayo-free coleslaw!
If you're anything like me, then finding the perfect lunch option can be a major struggle fest. When I used to go into an office everyday, I'd often find myself standing with no time to make a proper lunch in the morning and would end up with a hodgepodge of snacks rather than an actual meal.
Honestly, my typical lunch was greens with balsamic vinegar, apple, peanut butter and sometimes a gluten-free wrap with hummus. It was pitiful. And it certainly wasn't something that was giving me enough energy nor was it filling me up. I'm wishing I had thought about lettuce wraps back in the day!
Why are lettuce so great? Here's why I love them for office lunches:
- an easy way to get in your greens
- pack well and are super portable
- can be totally customized
- are allergy friendly
- not filled with added carbs which can end up making you crash in the afternoon
- light, but still filling
- seriously delicious!
I've shared a few other lettuce wrap recipes with you (like my Smashed Chickpea + Avocado Lettuce Wraps or my Tropical Quinoa Lettuce Wraps), but this one might just be my favorite.
They taste like a BBQ pulled pork sandwich, but are made from 100% plant-based ingredients!
We're starting our BBQ “pulled pork” lettuce wraps with my 3-ingredient vegan pulled pork recipe, which uses hearts of palm and onions to give a similar texture to meat.
The beauty of this filling is that you can make a big batch and save them it for lunches for the rest of the week. (in fact, I made a batch this past Sunday and I just finished the last of it yesterday; so I was set for four days of lunches!)
Then to make it like a true pulled pork sandwich, we have this crunchy coleslaw with a simple mayo-free dressing. Mayo-free slaw? YES! It's so simple, so delicious.
My secret? Tahini.
You guys know how much I love using tahini in dressings and sauces (have you tried my Vegan Caesar Salad recipe yet!? SO GOOD) and so I used that to replace the mayo in my coleslaw.
Then we added in apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup and a few other goodies, all of which paired nicely with sweetness from the BBQ sauce.
And since the vegan BBQ pulled pork is kind of soft and tender, the slaw added just the right amount of crunch!
Of course, even though I'm thinking of this more as an lunchtime recipe, you could totally make these pulled pork lettuce wraps for dinner too.
And if you have a family or partner that doesn't buy into the whole “lettuce wrap” concept (trust me, I have one of those at home!), then you can use this filling inside of a wrap to make it burrito-style or small tortillas if you're taco fans. They're all great choices and such a yummy way to get your BBQ fix without having to eat any meat!
What's your go-to office lunch these days? I'm working on a round up of my favorite recipes and would love to either include your favorites or try and recreate them here on SQ! And if you end up trying this recipe, I'd love for you to tag @simplyquinoa or use #simplyquinoa so I can find your photos on social media and give you some love in return <3
More Healthy Lunch Recipes:
- Simply Quinoa Lunch Bowl
- 10-Minute Mediterranean Tostadas
- Buffalo Chickpea & Quinoa Flatbreads
- Smashed Chickpea, Avocado + Quinoa Lettuce Wraps
- Meal-Prep Vegetarian Quinoa Burrito Bowls
BBQ "Pulled Pork" Lettuce Wraps
- 1 batch Vegan BBQ Pulled Pork
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup julienned zucchini or spirlalized, about 1 medium zucchini
- 1 cup julienned carrot or spiralized
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon organic white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon wheat-free tamari sauce or miso
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha sauce optional
- Water to thin
- 1 head Boston Bib Lettuce or romaine
- Prepare the "pulled pork" according to the recipe.
- Add the cabbage, zucchini, carrots and scallions into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl or blender, combine the remaining ingredients (minus the lettuce). Add water one tablespoon at a time to thin the dressing out; you want it to be smooth and pourable. Then pour dressing over vegetables and toss to combine.
- Assemble the lettuce wraps by placing 2 - 3 tablespoons of pulled pork mixture onto the base of each lettuce leaf, then top with a generous helping of slaw. Garnish with fresh herbs, cracked pepper and/or pepper flakes if desired.
New to cooking quinoa? Grab your FREE Quinoa Starter Guide!
Become part of the Simply Quinoa community and receive weekly emails with exclusive content that I only share in email, as well as my in-depth guide to starting your quinoa journey.
Want more clean eating recipes?
Follow my board on Pinterest!
2 comments on “BBQ “Pulled Pork” Lettuce Wraps”
Although this is probably a very tasty recipe, it’s NOT pulled-pork unless it’s actually “PORK”.
That’s why it’s in quotes 🙂