Tropical Quinoa Lettuce Wraps with fresh mango, ripe avocado and protein-packed quinoa are a healthy and summery easy dinner for any night.
These zesty lettuce wraps are one of my favorite ways to eat quinoa. They have major island vibes but are so easy to make right in your own kitchen, any time of year.
This dish truly has it all:
- It's high in protein
- Full of sweet, savory and citrusy flavor
- Has plenty of crunch from lettuce leaves
- Is easy to customize with your favorite protein and hot sauce
How to Make Tropical Quinoa Lettuce Wraps
The filling for your lettuce wraps is a simple quinoa salad mixed with mango, avocado, cilantro and a delicious lime dressing.
To ensure your quinoa comes out perfectly fluffy, be sure to read my article How to Make a Perfect Batch.
You will need to let the quinoa cool before you add the mango and avocado to avoid wilting the avocado.
The major flavor in this quinoa salad comes from the quick lime vinaigrette. You can shake it up in a jar while the quinoa cools. This lime vinaigrette has a bit of heat from chili pepper and smoked paprika.
And the sweetness to temper this out comes from honey. To make the dressing fully vegan, you can swap the honey out for maple syrup or agave.
Adding More Protein
You can easily add a different protein to these lettuce wraps if you'd like. I like to add crispy tofu for an extra boost of plant-based protein. Seitan or tempeh would also be great.
If you're not vegan, you can easily add chicken, shrimp, or another fish for a fish taco flavor.
Can I Make Quinoa Lettuce Wraps Ahead of Time?
If you're thinking that these healthy quinoa lettuce wraps will make a great meal prep recipe, you are right. You can easily make the quinoa salad ahead of time. Divide it up between meal prep containers, leaving the lettuce leaves separate.
Then when you're ready for lunch, simply fill the lettuce leaves with your quinoa salad and dig in!
More Healthy Dinner Recipes
- Cilantro Lime Black Bean Tacos with Quinoa
- Zucchini Noodles with Lime-Arugula Pesto
- Citrus & Fennel Roasted Salmon with Herbed Quinoa
If you love these Tropical Quinoa Lettuce Wraps, be sure to tag me on Instagram and leave a review and rating. I love hearing what you think of my recipes!
Tropical Quinoa Lettuce Wraps
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 2 small mangos pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 avocados pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley finely chopped (cilantro would be better)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 - 10 leaves of butter lettuce
- Grilled chicken optional
- Hot sauce optional, but highly recommended!
- Bring the quinoa and water to boil in a small sauce pot. Cover and reduce to simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, until the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat, and keep covered for another 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a mixing bowl. Let cool for 10 - 15 minutes (or pop it in the fridge for 5 - 10 minutes).
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the dressing. Whisk the lime juice, oil, vinegar, honey, and spices together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Once the quinoa has cooled, add the mangoes, avocado and herbs. Toss together until combined. Pour dressing over the salad and mix until coated.
- Scoop the quinoa salad into the lettuce leaves, top with grilled chicken and hot sauce (if using).